Contributor

Re: Is downstream power too high?

Bucket truck gone now

Contributor

So the bucket truck only lowered the power by ~2 dB (after the filter lowered it some) by the time the signal gets to my modem. 

Spectrum Employee

@Labyrinth wrote:

Tech was here (early yay), he already knew what the issue was and had tested the levels on the modem before I even went out.   He said he didn't need to come in and the bucket truck would be here within 24 hours.

When he was up on the ladder I went out and talked to him again and he said the downstream at the tap was +24!

He put a filter on it.  What's that for?  Sorry should have asked him, but had other stuff going on.

Here's the signal levels now.

Is that... a MoCA filter?  It sure looks like a MoCA filter, or some other kind of signal trap.  Sometimes you can put on a filter like that to clean out backfeed from neighbors who are polluting up the tap with there backfeed. Maybe I'm mistaken, I'll reach out to a forum moderator.

Also, pardon me for this gap in professionalism for a moment... but...
@lol OMG WUT?! @ the +24 dBmV at the tap?! 

Good grief!

(remember that because it's dB, decibles, that that the futher from 0 the exponentially more that is)

Spoiler

This table here depends on the wire specific being manufactured, but it'll give you all a rough idea.

FrequencyRG-6
approx loss per 100 ft
1 MHz0.2 dBmV
10 MHz0.6 dBmV
50 MHz1.4 dBmV
100 MHz2.0 dBmV
200 MHz2.8 dBmV
400 MHz4.3 dBmV
700 MHz5.6 dBmV
900 MHz6.0 dBmV
1 GHz6.1 dBmV
Impedance75 ohm

Soo... losing about 5 to 6 dBmV per 100 feet of line (less if it's quad shielded), so roughly more than 400 ft worth of power over distance to get to 0 dbmv (assuming no splitters that is)!  For splitters subtract whatever their rating it to get a rough estimate.  The math for using decibles makes it pretty straight forward to get a rough guess (it's subtraction & addition).
I seriously doubt the tap-to-home-through-splitters-to-the-modem is needing that much.
Unsuprisingly around +12 dBmV readings...

@Kudos @ the field tech you spoke with, he sounded professional.

@Hnnngh @ the maintenance tech (bucket truck).  If you're installing a filter, kind of need to re-test after the filter is installed.

A bit too much is better than a but too little.  But +12 dBmV levels are still grounds for valid grounds for sending out a truck.

If you did this just today (sounds like you did), please call us and get a message to our dispatch ASAP for a return visit.

I wish I has seen your reply a bit sooner... but was on-the-clock (and thus, no-go for using these forums).

Poor field tech...  His boss is probably going to be all over his case for something that he couldn't control.

So on one hand I'm glad to hear about the prompt responses.  Professionalism of the field tech.  Bucket truck showed right away. On the other hand I feel like the bearer of bad news that it's not actually in an acceptable range yet, still.  (per TWC's own guidelines and modem manufacture guidelines)  At least it's noticable better than it was.  But still, I wouldn't say the job is done, professionally speaking.  Which is kind of our loss on it, financially speaking (multiple visits for the same issues is noteworthy waste of tech labor time and thus TWC's money).  Polite & persistent as I always say.

Do you also have an amp in the home or something?  I'm thinking you don't, but just asking to be sure...

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Contributor

Nope, no amp, no splitter.  How do I get a message to dispatch?  I guess call in and say I had a tech out and a maintenance truck out and my signals are still above acceptable levels?  

Remember, though, the woman (sounded foreign) I talked to on the phone who made the appointment said -15 to +15 is acceptable.  When I told her TWC forums said -10 to +10 for the newer modems, she said something like "We're giving out new modems now and the range is still -15 to +15."  I didn't argue with her.

So, what I'm getting at is when I call in and they're thinking the levels are fine, how do I get transferred to dispatch?

Expert

Tech was wrong telling you that, the filter is for internet only, It blocks qam cable from 54- 500 mHz and does little to nothing outside that range. Guess you're internet only.

Reducing the ouit of docsis band levels might improve the modems decode/ demodulation... But I didn't see bad s/n

But at least he contacted the bucket truck guys, they need to go back to the street and drop in the proper value directional coupler insert or reset the levels at the street.  

Or at least put a 6dB pad on your line at the modem, that would take upstream to +43 dBmv and downstream to +6 dBmv which should be fine.

BTW, i see no doifference in your s/n from your early post to now

I don't think your problem is solved, see how it acts for a day, then if still bad, call twc back out on it

Contributor

Tech didnt tell me filter was to reduce downsrewam power, i just noticed it checking the signal after the tech left
Expert

OK, Woman Embarassed so what did he say he was going to do about the +24 dBmv, Woman Frustrated?

Contributor

Call the bucket truck. Lol
Contributor

I didnt know it was a filter until after he installed it amd went back to his van to check my modem. Then I was still outside when he asked if I could check to see if the modem was on as he couldnt see it. It wasnt so he said it must be that "filter" he put on it
Contributor

Sorry don't know how this blank post got posted, was on my phone.