Contributor

Re: Is downstream power too high?

Its a bit confusing. They should know there were other secondary poles just by how far the house sits off the road.

Its almost like they fixed something else and hoped for the best or something.

Established Sharer

TWC also does regularly have to repair damage done by people breaking those security terminators and damaging the tap connect (more of a problem for pedestals than aerials though, as you can probably guess why).  So please don't. Bad idea.

Sorry, I thought that you would understand that the splitter/attenuator was installed in-line in the in-house wiring, it was sitting on top of my basement drop ceiling tile roughly 3 feet away from where I am sitting right now -- so a standard terminator would have been more cost-effective, there was no good reason to use a security terminator, other than to try to block me from running another coax off the unused splitter port (but even that would be stupid, as I could just replace the TWC-supplied splitter with my own).  The tech should have used an in-line attentuator, of course, but I assume that he didn't have any in his truck, and maybe he didn't have any standard terminators, either.  In all, it was quite the comedy of errors, and helps explain why I have zero faith in the technical abilities of TWC representatives -- they've got a very poor track record with me.

Expert

I don't think they have the cheap non security resistors, all they carry are security ones

DirecTv splitters come with them on all but one output port on the SWM splitters, I've been cleaned out trying to fix TWC open amp and splitter ports.

While some devices have decent return loss specs, I doubt it's effective on noisy ports...

Expert

@Labyrinth wrote:

Its a bit confusing. They should know there were other secondary poles just by how far the house sits off the road.

Its almost like they fixed something else and hoped for the best or something.

They may have set the downstream levels a little high thinking that  several hundred feet of RG6 would be used.

all coaxial cable attenuates more as frequency is raised.

so in the upstream 5-45 mHz band it might have 1 dB of loss but up at 700 mHz it has 6 dB of loss perr 100'  RG 59 was worst.

The problem is having +18 indicates that the amp feeding you is out of linear operation.

Contributor

Meh... That's not a very accurate analogy, it's not really consuming electrical energy.
That video's analogy of a tennis ball being bounced off a wall is far more accurate.

I think that person was just trying to explain it in layman's terms.

I did like the explanation in the video better. 

@MsRaye wrote:

You can get a bag of 10-25 non security terminators for the cost of 1 security terminator.

And all the coaxes hanging loose aren't used... 

This is very true.  They're (thankfully) rather inexpensive.

I think on the same board that had the analogy, they were saying the REALLY (cheapest of the cheap) cheap terminators can fall apart after the first use.  I have no idea if it's true, but that is what the analogy person said.  But, it's not like I would be pulling them on and off.  Although, I would be annoyed if the post broke off and got stuck in the port.  lol

Expert

If there are unterminated ports, twc screwed up. I've been to numerous business class install that had no terminators on open ports and excessive amplifiers to make up for the imballance they created

Contributor

The tech will be here today. Do they usually know the generalbreason they are called before they get here or will I have to explain why I called it in?
Spectrum Employee

@Labyrinth wrote:
The tech will be here today. Do they usually know the generalbreason they are called before they get here or will I have to explain why I called it in?

The will have a general reason code for the appointment, but in my experience the tech is going to ask you questions and that's your opportunity to share what I've learned so far (i.e.: what the community here has discussed with you).

Also RickE, that sounds like an absolute disaster, at least what I'm seeing written from your point of view.  Combination of laziness and incompetence. Makes more sense why your confidence level in TWC would be so low.  All I was trying to get across was "please don't" with regards to messing with security terminators.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Contributor

Tech was here (early yay), he already knew what the issue was and had tested the levels on the modem before I even went out.   He said he didn't need to come in and the bucket truck would be here within 24 hours.

When he was up on the ladder I went out and talked to him again and he said the downstream at the tap was +24!

He put a filter on it.  What's that for?  Sorry should have asked him, but had other stuff going on.

Here's the signal levels now.

Contributor

Pages seem to load much snappier now, and Netflix buffering instantly now after that filter was put on.  Hope not placebo lol.

Bucket truck just got here!