Contributor

Re: Is downstream power too high?

Okay, the previously posted levels were just a fluke or something, because they went back up to ~11-13 dBmV shortly after and remained that way.  

It's kinda funny, though, I just added 100 ft quad shield cable, and the signals now are about exactly what they were in the previous post.  The first channel is exactly the same.

I also found a 1GHz 4-way splitter on clearance for $1.50 (which should be fine sincethese channels are all below 1ghz) and some terminator caps, but haven't added them yet.  I wanted to check the levels with just the cable. 

Should I add the splitter you think, MsRaye, agentx5, Karishin, or anybody?  lol

Expert

use the coax

Levels should only show a slow change over outside temperature, sudden jumps indicate bad lines/ tapoffs/ amplifiers.

Contributor

Got curious and added the splitter (terminated) to the 100ft of coax...

Expert

I wonder if when the pole got broken, they went and put the wrong value of directional coupler on the line that feeds your pole.

it looks new

Run with the coax and splitter loss and see if there's an improvement, the s/n looks the same

Contributor

I've been running with the extra 100ft of RG6 plus the splitter loss, and it seems to be running fine.  I haven't noticed any chopiness in Netflix streaming video since I've gotten the DS power under control, but am I sacrificing the good for the pursuit of the perfect by pushing the upstream into the mid 40's with the splitter?  I was reading another thread, by Karishin I believe, where he/she added a second splitter to their 100ft of coax, but pushed their upstream to just over 50.

I also got an A for line quality and no packet loss on pingtest.net with the splitter added.

Expert

US only handles sync and error correction when streaming, as long as it's stable and between +30 and +50 dBmv, it's fine.. At +52, it's close to bad, If modem goes above +52 it's maxxed out

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks, if that ever happens, I'll just remove the splitter.