Highlighted
Observer

Internet working when hard-wired. No wif-fi and No IP address assigned?

This issue has been going on for 2-3 days now. When i login to my Technicolor Modem, and navigate to troubleshooting > Logs, the IP address assigned to my modem is is 0.0.0.0. When i am connecting wi-fi, the devides fail to get IP. Here's the log from yesterday

System Logs:Yesterday

Tue Feb 04 14:30:39 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 157 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 14:15:31 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 36 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 13:18:13 2020 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e0:88:5d:97:5e:c7;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5d:44:9f:5b;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Tue Feb 04 11:44:56 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 157 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 11:29:50 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 36 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 10:29:35 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 157 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 10:14:30 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 36 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 09:59:25 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 157 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 09:44:19 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 36 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 09:29:14 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 157 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 09:14:10 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 36 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 08:28:59 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 157 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 07:43:47 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 36 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

Tue Feb 04 07:28:43 2020 Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 157 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE

15 REPLIES 15
Sharer

Re: Internet working when hard-wired. No wif-fi and No IP address assigned?

Guessing this is a combination modem/router design? If so, may need to pull the config down again from Spectrum. If a full power cycle (turn off/unplug for about 5 minutes) doesn't reset it properly, may need to reset it to factory defaults.

If you are running seperate modem and router, sometimes things don't synch up right if just the modem restarts. Power cycling/restarting the router will often resolve that, but sometimes that too may need to be reset to defaults and reconfigured again.
Observer

cRe: Internet working when hard-wired. No wif-fi and No IP address assigned?

I am running Technicolor Modem and using the built in Wi-Fi; no external router. Tried hard resetting twice, release IP and DNS; none's working.

Valued Contributor

Could it be that the device is stuck in the bridge mode? If so, try configuring it with "real" admin username-password or by calling Spectrum to put it in NAT-DHCP-WiFi enabled mode.

Please check your PM.

Sharer

Re: cRe: Internet working when hard-wired. No wif-fi and No IP address assigned?

Try resetting it to factory defaults.... sounds like the only thing you haven't tried yet?

This will force a full reconfig from scratch (Spectrum wifi settings and such)
Helper

My first thought was the device is configured in bridge mode as well. If that's the case a quick call to customer service can reconfigure the device.

Even if you could change the default admin/password of device itself it will likely get changed back to default. What you can, and absolutely should, change is the wifi SSID and password.

Proven Sharer

Echo everything that the experts @RAIST5150 and @reds91185 said, plus a couple of hints:

A)  When performing a factory reset by pushing the button on the gateway, you may need to hold in in continuously for ten seconds or more. The Technicolor box needs to reset and flash its LEDs TWICE.  The first time just restarts the box, like after a quick power fail 'blink-out'.  The second round wipes the previous router address settings and reverts back to the factory startups stored in RAM or pulled from the modem. 

B)  It helps to use the Spectrum DNS addresses 209.18.47.61 & 62 because these are dual-mode IPv4 plus IPv6.  They are located at multiple regional server farms across Spectrum's network for reliability and speed. 

C)  I can see from the system log that your gateway is currently set to scan the WiFi channels to find clear ones.  This is BAD!  Set it to a fixed channel number on each band, one for the 2.4 GHz radio (wl0) and another for 5 GHz (wl1).  On 2.4 GHz pick any number from 1 to 11; most are set to 1, 6, or 11 but the others are OK too.  For the 5 GHz side (wl1) DON"T use 36 or 157 because the system log says other WiFi devices nearby are already using those two.

D)  If your Technicolor gateway unit was provided by Spectrum you will not be able to change the admin user name or password.  When you try it will drop your data connection and reset back to the Spectrum system default within a few minutes.  That's an FCC/cable system security requirement.  You should ABSOLUTELY change the WiFi network password AND WRITE IT DOWN!  Changing the WiFi SSID is optional, it's just a plain language text label.  FBI-SWAT might get some interesting reactions from your neighbors Smiley Wink

Sharer

lol... IDK if "expert" fits in my case.... maybe red...

Has just become a big goto these days. Routers/modems, Smart TV's, game consoles, phones...

Was REAL FUN when a deep power saving mode knackered up one of my Android's themes/icons a couple months back and I had to reset all apps, then redo all the customizations again.

I dread a day where I have to do a fresh Winblows rebuild again. Too many years of tweaks... wouldn't know where to begin.

Thank heavens for external USB3 SSD drives and super fast linux bootable drive imaging software... hehehehe.
Observer

I have done hard reset twice. DIdn't help.

Spectrum tech came out here today morning, hooked up his fancy equipments to the line and then went out and spent good 30 min, testing everything. Came back and said: "All is fine, its your modem".

An hour later, i had Arris Modem hooked up and activated. Same thing. The internet on my computer (hard wired) works perfecntly. IP Address is showing 0.0.0.0 on my router logs.  None of my wireless devices (TV, laptops, phones, ipads)  have any bandwidth, when connected to Wi-Fi. When i went to the new router's error log, this is what i got:

Time 

Priority 

Description 

Fri Feb 07 01:10:18 2020  

Fri Feb 07 00:09:13 2020  

Error (4) 

Thu Feb 06 23:50:09 2020  

Critical (3) 

Thu Feb 06 19:24:21 2020  

Notice (6) 

Error (4) 

Error (4) 

Time Not Established 

Warning (5) 

Time Not Established 

Critical (3) 

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out  

Time Not Established 

Notice (6) 

WiFi Interface [wl0] set to Channel 11 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INIT 

Thu Feb 06 19:23:30 2020  

Critical (3) 

Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow 

Time Not Established 

Critical (3) 

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out  

Thu Feb 06 15:05:04 2020  

Critical (3) 

Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow 

Thu Feb 06 14:53:46 2020  

Critical (3) 

Helper

@bholabhala wrote:

I have done hard reset twice. DIdn't help.

Spectrum tech came out here today morning, hooked up his fancy equipments to the line and then went out and spent good 30 min, testing everything. Came back and said: "All is fine, its your modem".

An hour later, i had Arris Modem hooked up and activated. Same thing. The internet on my computer (hard wired) works perfecntly. IP Address is showing 0.0.0.0 on my router logs.  None of my wireless devices (TV, laptops, phones, ipads)  have any bandwidth, when connected to Wi-Fi. When i went to the new router's error log, this is what i got:

Is the Arris another combo unit or stand-alone modem and router?  Did you have customer service check your account profile to see if they have wifi disabled / bridge mode enabled?