Expert

Re: Internet out all Sunday afternoon, suddenly back on

there has to be another splitter for the other tv and I suspect it's in the outside box.

Trace the lines from the 2 rooms, the connectors are probably loose

Highlighted
Participant

They replaced the box outside and checked all the lines the first time this happened back in July.  And a week later, it happened again. Then it was fine for maybe a month, then it happened again. And each time, I call TWC and they ask me to check the cable coming from the wall to see if it's loose. They determine they can't help and make an appt for me for 3-4 days later.  Then 4-6 hours later, it comes back on on its own.  Now it will stay like that for a couple of weeks, and one Saturday or Sunday, it will happen again. And I'll call TWC and they'll ask me to check the cable and so on. Then a few hours later, it will fix itself.  It has happened 5-6 times (always on a weekend) since July 8.

Here's the upstream stuff.  Thanks for trying!

Upstream Bonded Channels Upstream Bonded Channels:
Similar to downstream channel bonding, upstream channel bonding enables fas...

ChannelLock StatusChannel TypeChannel IDSymb. Rate (Ksym/sec)Freq. (MHz)Pwr (dBmV)
1LockedATDMA2512024.250.5
2Not LockedUnknown0000.0
3Not LockedUnknown0000.0
4Not LockedUnknown0000.0
Expert

you are having a coaxial issue, I see the upstream only had one channel and was at +55.8 dBmv which is over range and not reliable and the othe r 3 upstream channels nonexistent. Print that page out for the tech.

This ccould be a bad connection , intermittent splitter, bad outside amps/connection, could be a mile away.. You need to also get the modem at the first 2 way splitter instead of the second one, that will give you 3.5 dB better signal.

Participant

Thank you!!  I'll give them the info and hope that they know what to do with it.  Smiley Happy

Participant

Thanks, MsRaye!!  You solved 3 1/2 months' worth of problems on a messageboard.  Problems that phone techs had NO CLUE how to fix or even what to look at. Turns out there WAS a bad connection at the pole to my house.  Two different techs told me they checked it and it was fine.  But clearly it wasn't.  They either didn't know what they were looking at, or they never even checked it.  Finally, my favorite local tech actually checked it and fixed it.  

Expert

repost the new level page and print a copy for your records, note how many splitters are inline.

do a drawing with the port losses . the -3.5, -5 and -7.5 splitters are always within 1/2 dB provided the other port has a proper load on it or a 75 ohm terminator. IF US starts jumping around especially near +52 or the DS drops below -5 and approaches -10, problem is back or there's a new intermittent.Robot Sad

Been in this since high school and have FCC commercial& ham licenses as well as decades of communications experience... I laugh at the phone reps who belittle this forum and the one over at DSL reports.Woman Sad

I have no clue why these guys refuse to change out $0.20 connectors when customers are having intermittents.

Woman Sad

Sharer

heh...one time a Chrysler tech tried pulling the "What?  Did you get that from some Internet site?" on me.

"No, I got it from page X-Y from the Chrysler 2003 PT Cruiser Service Manual--the one you use.", I retorted.

A customer who knows something being met with derision tells me that the employee's insecurity about his own competency is firmly merited because competent professionals enjoy sharing in their trade.

I moved my business elsewhere immediately and never returned to that dealer.

Helper

NO reason in the world, a tech could have Not seen than upstream level of -55 was an indicator of noise, and such.