Rookie

Internet loss when power outage.

What good does it do me to have UPS for my router and and all other devices if the internet goes down each time we have a power outage?  This was not the case for my previous internet provider.  All the other services on the router are available except internet.  This must be resolved!!!

6 REPLIES 6
Proven Sharer

Re: Internet loss when power outage.

@fll4twcbill wrote:

What good does it do me to have UPS for my router and and all other devices if the internet goes down each time we have a power outage?  This was not the case for my previous internet provider.  All the other services on the router are available except internet.  This must be resolved!!!

The UPS would allow you to save any work you may have open on your LAN / NAS provided your PC and all the other switches are on a UPS, too.

Depending on the outage, the head end may be down, too.  If a tree takes out the lines, you are SOL untilevery utility rolls a truck to repair the outage.

Proven Sharer

@dstoffa wrote:

@fll4twcbill wrote:

The UPS would allow you to save any work you may have open on your LAN / NAS provided your PC and all the other switches are on a UPS, too.

Depending on the outage, the head end may be down, too.  If a tree takes out the lines, you are SOL untilevery utility rolls a truck to repair the outage.

Was your previous connection over a fiber optic line or coaxial cable?  A coax-based network has active electronics in line with (almost) weatherproof housings along the cable route and pole or pedestal-mounted power supplies that send power down the cable to those remote amplifiers.  Power supplies have a UPS in them, most even have good batteries, but no backup is perfect.   A break in the coax cable or loss of AC power at the pole with a power supply removes power to both the upstream and downstream amplifiers.  

In a fiber-based system, since the fiber doesn't conduct electricity, each piece of electronics in the field requires its own separate UPS with periodic maintenance, or the system owner tries to put everything at a common location - the curbside refrigerator-style housing. 

Expert

TWC DOES NOT HAVE BATTERY BACUP IN ALL POWER SUPPLIES.   GOOD LUCK CONVINCING THEM TO ADD IT.

Rookie

I was convinced of that.  The point I am hoping someone at TWC will get is that I never lost internet with (another company).  And I even have phone and cable tv with TWC when we loose power.  People can plan all they want with generators and UPS, but if the provider does not care enough, well..., maybe I'll have to get another provider.  These incidents come at the most opportune time when business is critical.

Expert

are you a biz class customer? Do you have TWC/Spectrum phone?

Proven Sharer

@fll4twcbill wrote:

I was convinced of that.  The point I am hoping someone at TWC will get is that I never lost internet with (another company).  And I even have phone and cable tv with TWC when we loose power.  People can plan all they want with generators and UPS, but if the provider does not care enough, well..., maybe I'll have to get another provider.  These incidents come at the most opportune time when business is critical.

Maybe you need to be assigning blame to the power company for not calling you before your power goes off in a storm?  Or could it be the National Weather Service's fault that trees fall and knock down the cable lines, or maybe your local TV station, for not warning you in advance that you  need to move up the timing of your critical business plan.  If you don't have an alternate way to do business while TWC service is out, that is your problem!