I'm having some issues with my Spectrum service. Yesterday I noticed speeds were pretty slow, and according to a few speedtests from different locations, and my downloadspeed had dropped to 8 mbps. Usually it hovers around 120-130. Upload was still good at 11.
I reset everything and unplugged/replugged all the ethernet and coax cables, and it seemed to jump back up for awhile. But this morning, Download is back down to 8 mbps, even after resetting everything. I tried bypassing the router and connecting directly to the modem (SB6183) and it's still slow.
Attached is the levels. I live an apartment building, and I'm running the coax directly to the modem, no splitters.
I cleared out the event log on the modem to see what was popping up this morning after resetting everything:
Solved! Go to Solution.
I am sure MsRaye will chime in, but it would seem that loose or corroded cables are allowing ingress of Cellular phone data (700 MHz band) on the DS side....
I will chime in too. Keep your cell phone at least 6 feet from the modem and its cable, and make sure the connectors are tight and shiny clean. No corrosion allowed.
Thanks - in retrospect resetting the logs wasn't a good idea. Here's the output from this morning so far. This is in line with what I've seen over the last few days.
Thanks - Spectrum came out today and the tech said it was bad wiring coming into the building. They were going to work out a time to drop a new wire coming in. Hoping for a simple fix. Seems like if I wiggle around the input wire in the closet it'll come back to regular speed for a bit. Tech replaced the connectors on the coax, but said it was still pretty bad.