Not applicable

Internet freezes when opening some iOS apps?

We have had an issue for several months where opening some iOS apps, most notably WeatherBug and Weather Channel, cause our YouTube TV coming thru a Roku Ultra to freeze up. Sometimes when this happens the streamIng service comes back in a few seconds/minutes while everything else seems to be ok. Sometimes everything freezes up. This effect from opening certain apps has been VERY consistent. I’m wondering if some apps are really bandwidth hogging or if there is some other effect? Just wondering if others have seen this as well...appreciate hearing any thoughts or experiences.
5 REPLIES 5
Newcomer

Re: Internet freezes when opening some iOS apps?

What modem and router do you use?

Not applicable

We now have a Netgear 6250 that I just installed to upgrade our previous Netgear (I forget the model). Better WiFi signal strength in the house from the new one...no change at all in the app effect.
Lead Moderator

So that we understand the issue, are you able to access the Internet on other devices? Say a phone or tablet at this time? 

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Service

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Not applicable

Yes, service is usually pretty good and resetting the cable modem often solves the problem, though occasionally it takes time for things to settle after a reset. Everyone gets occasional blips in service but this is quite predictable when certain apps are activated.
Proven Sharer

I'm guessing that your malfunctioning iOS apps are primarily used for video streaming, rather than traditional home internet application software.  If that is the case, you may find some help in a different section of the Spectrum user forums. 

For example, Apple's mail defaults to always loading all attachments to an email message immediately. This can choke the IXP routers which connect Spectrum to the outside world internet, as well as your own router if a dataflow management option is enabled.  When this setting is turned off, mail loads normally.

You can also check with YouTube and Roku who offer independent support for the separate network streaming devices you purchased.