Highlighted

Internet Speeds Super Slow, reboot helps for 5-10 mins then slow again

Hi everone,

So I recently moved into a new apartment and set up Spectrum internet (200 down/10 up) with my own modem/router (NETGEAR C7000). I have had this internet for 2 weeks and everything has been fine up until yesterday. I was getting 100-200 mbps down at any given moment, now I struggle to get 3 mbps and routinely getting less than 1. The weird thing is, if I reboot the modem through my spectrum account it will go back to normal for 5-10 minutes and then be super slow again.

Any idea what my issue could be??

Attached are my bonded channels and event log. Seems like channels 17-24 have a lot of un correctable errors....

Channels after bad.PNGevent log.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Helper

Re: Internet Speeds Super Slow, reboot helps for 5-10 mins then slow again

The power levels fluctuate too much, probably caused  by loose connections or damaged coax, and the modem is struggling to maintain a stable connection.  This could be anywhere from the point the coax connects to the modem all the way back to the wall outlet, inside the walls, the main connection closet for the building, or back to the pole.

Apartment buildings are notorious for having really messy connections in the closet that impacts the entire building. Do you know if your neighbors are experiencing the same issues?

FYI...you need to call for a tech visit.

Not sure about neighbors, we don't really know any of them.

Before posting my original post I verified all of the connections that I have access to were tight. All I have access to is the wall/modem connection and a little distribution panel in one of our closetsl. Also tried a different coax cable from the wall to the modem. Nothing helped.

I have a tech coming tomorrow evening. When I called Spectrum the person on the phone said "I can see some issues on our side, let me send out a tech." But didn't really go into detail. Hopefully the tech will be able to figure it out.

Thanks!

Proven Sharer

You correctly noted that there are FAR too many uncorrectible errors appearing on the high eight DS (downstream) channels assigned to your internet modem connection (system channel numbers 20 to 27,  slot frequencies 603 Mhz to 645 MHz).  You might have also noticed that the Signal to Noise ratio is very low on all of those channels.  Internet data usually won't pass with SNR values below about 35 dB.

Since only eight channels are affected and in the cable system they are installed and assigned in blocks of 8, I would be very suspicious of bad equipment at the node that serves your residence and neighbors.   Another possibility is the very recent installation of a cellphone mini-site in your area which is radiating back into the cable system through a bad connector or broken/leaky cable.  But that kind of failure usually fogs up every DS channel, not just one group of eight. 

Well, it seems like it was a bad modem. The technician tested the signal at the modem, in a little distribution panel in the apartment, and at the main room for the entire building. He said everything was looking great and was getting a gig with whatever tester he was using.

We tried a factory reset on my modem and that improved the speeds from ~2mbps to ~6mbps, lol. Then he replaced the modem with one of their own and now I'm getting 200+mbps and everything seems to be working great.

Going to try and return the one I bought...

Helper

Hopefully your problems are fixed permamently now but keep a close eye on things. Modems rarely go bad but it's possible.