Rookie

Internet Dropping

Hi,

I replaced my Router last week after my Airport Extreme died with an Airport Express.  Same settings, but our internet would not work so a tech came out.  After a few hours he said he thought the modem (customer owned TP LInk TC-7610) was not working with the Express.  He plugged in a Spectrum Arris TM1602A and was able to get the internet working so I told him to leave the Modem and I would see if it worked and purchase a new one.  A week later and I am having issues again - the signal keeps dropping. 

When I run a speed test over ethernet and even wifi I am getting 23 Download and 4 upload, but it varies.  However, I can't even watch netflix and the issue seems to be worse at night. 

ETA: I am located in western NY in a fairly new subdivision.  I have also tried restarting everything, shutting down, etc.  I have internet only and no splitters.

I am hoping to pinpoint if the issue is 1) something with the line 2) a Router issue or 3) a Modem issue or 4) a combination before I call someone out again. Thank you in advance!Screen shot 2018-02-28 at 8.37.31 AM.pngScreen shot 2018-02-28 at 8.38.00 AM.pngScreen shot 2018-02-28 at 8.38.13 AM.png

6 REPLIES 6
Helper

Re: Internet Dropping

In other words...the tech had no idea how to configure the express. When you replaced the extreme with the express did you reset the network settings and reboot everything?

You actually have other problems though that a couple of others here will probably chime in on.

Rookie

Yes I did reset.  I have tried doing a factory reset on the express and resetting up the network.  It seems to work for some time but the wireless is so bad I can't connect at all sometimes.  I have a feeling the issue is  something outside of the Modem/Router but wanted to get some input since I have no idea what I'm doing ><.  Thanks for your response!

Expert

YOU HAVE A MAJOR SIGNAL LEVEL ISSUE, PROBABLY LOOSE, CHEWED CABLE, CORROSION, OPEN SPLITTER PORTS... NEITHER MODEM IS BAD, IT NEEDS A COMPETENT TECH OUT.

NO MODEM WILL WORK WELL WITH THODE HIGH UNCORRECTABLES AND RCS PARTIAL SERVICE ERRORS.

GET THEM BACK OUT TO FIX THE LINES.

DS shows excessive noise ingress and the 1st channel(home ch) is unuseable.. It's on a verizon freq.

This CANNOT be fixed over the phone it is a coaxial issue.

Proven Sharer

If the Apple wireless is that bad, there's a good chance that Spectrum has turned on the WiFi in their rental modem and it is fighting with the Apple WiFi.  Call them and ask them to turn off the WiFi in their gateway.  Happens more often than you would expect, especially when their installer is not well trained. 

Highlighted
Rookie

Thanks everyone for your help. I called and a much better tech came out today and checked everything from the box to the lines to the router.   I guess there was a filter on the box from TWC that they no longer use and he said it could have been causing the issues? He set up a new modem and checked it with his router and everything was working.  I also was apparently on TWC pricing so I called and was able to upgrade to Spectrum internet so I'm going from 30 mbps to 100 (potentially).  So far everything has been working much better (except having issues connecting a work laptop over my VPN).  I appreciate everyone's help and will mark this as resolved. 

Expert

post the new signal level page...

VPN's will NOT work with any uncorrecteds, especially on the first (home) channel.