Sharer

Re: Internet Dropouts

EEP!

Yeah... something may be throwing noise on the line somewhere.  It is ramping upstream power trying to compensate.  Surprised it hasn't rebooted yet with that last snapshot.... 53.3 on only ONE channel??!!  YIKES!

Newcomer

Remarkably, it’s still functioning! I think the power on that lone channel may have edged over 54 as I type. 

@RAIST5150 wrote:

EEP!

Yeah... something may be throwing noise on the line somewhere.  It is ramping upstream power trying to compensate.  Surprised it hasn't rebooted yet with that last snapshot.... 53.3 on only ONE channel??!!  YIKES!

Newcomer

Update: rebooting the modem got us back to four upstream channels at no lower than 51. 

Proven Sharer

Let's revist the splitter one more time:  Confirm that it only has two cables running to your active devices (modem and DVR).  It should be a two-way splitter, NOT a 4-way unit. 

There are NO other splitters between this one and the cable company entrance drop.

All indoor cabling is RG6-QS (quad shield - 2 braided and 2 foil layers);customer-installed RG59 is obsolete single braided shield, and no longer allowed by Spectrum.

All F connectors are new compression type, NOT crimped.

There is a grounding block where the drop cable enters your home AND the copper ground wire is securely connected to the power company ground comingfrom your breaker panel.

If you made it this far, your home should not be blamed. Usually the trouble is probably moisture, either water in the buried trunk line or broken connectors or tap housing seals in the ground pedestals or up on the poles.  Something is intermittently causing the cable losses to increase,  That lowers the incoming signals and makes the modem talk louder upstream, at least until it gets hoarse at about +52 dBmV.  That's when it starts dropping upstream channels but still keeps trying to reconnect. 

Newcomer

“Hard failed” this morning for about four hours. They’re sending someone out later today.
Highlighted
Newcomer

Tech (very nice fellow) came out yesterday evening. He had looked at the signal before he came  and noted that things were on the poor side - checked/replaced several connectors and gave me a new modem/router (two separate boxes these days). What he told me was that this should get things working consistently meantime, but they do plan to have the lines in the area looked at as they've had  a few issues reported recently.