Newcomer

Internet Dropouts

Looking around here and seeing similar problems to mine over the years . Firstly, here’s the setup:

Single (brand new) RG6 from ground block to splitter, from there goes to one TV and the modem (Technicolor TC8717). 

Symptoms: Loss of internet (both wireless and wired) for 1-2 minutes, but TV continues to work without issues throughout. Logs show that when this happens, the upstream “bonded channels” may go from four to one, upstream power will go up over 54 (this never goes below 51 when things are OK). The RG6 from ground block to splitter was found last week to have a connector and a poorly made plug in it, which was why I renewed it. Oddly, when I found this and made a temporary repair, all was well for three days. 

Ideas?

15 REPLIES 15
Helper

Re: Internet Dropouts

Post the full signal levels. Based on your description of the upstream levels never being below 51 there is definitely a damaged cable, old filter, bad amp, etc. somewhere in the mix.

Is this a single family home or apartment building? From the splitter to the modem, is there one single run of coax or wall plates, amps, or any other type if break? All connections have been checked and are tight and not corroded?

Newcomer

Single family home. From the splitter to the modem is a brand new RG6 about a foot long 😊 Signal levels to come.

Newcomer

BBF8E12F-ACFD-481C-AA99-22C41E21110D.jpegSignal levels as of now.

Signal levels as of right now.

Helper

I can't see anything to the right of # 10 on the downstream side, but from what I see downstream looks good.  Upstream...it's right at the edge of usable.

Is the splitter a regular 2-way?

Highlighted
Sharer

Also, just to be sure... there are only two lines run, one to the modem and one to the cable box/TV?

Every connected cable needs to have something at the end of the run... either a device or a termination cap, and no splitter should have an unused port.
Newcomer

Correct, only two lines off the splitter.  I run the "main" tv off a DVR. All others in the house are on the Roku Spectrum app. No "unterminated"  coax in the house connected to the cable system.

I changed the splitter about a week ago when I first started seriously investigating this problem in an effort to eliminate the "stupid" stuff.

Newcomer

@reds91185 wrote:

I can't see anything to the right of # 10 on the downstream side, but from what I see downstream looks good.  Upstream...it's right at the edge of usable.

Ah..... remainiung downstream channels are all in the same "ballpark".

Newcomer

Event Log (MAC address redacted) from last night during an instance of the issue. 

Sun Aug 04 21:52:23 2019Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9.....CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sun Aug 04 21:52:22 2019Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8.....CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sun Aug 04 21:52:07 2019Notice (6) Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters; IP provisioning mode = IPv6
Sun Aug 04 21:52:01 2019Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out.....CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Sun Aug 04 21:51:40 2019Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out.....CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sun Aug 04 21:51:08 2019Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out....CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Newcomer

CABF9BCB-A3B0-4BF1-80E9-E156228B7028.jpeg

Power levels right now.