Rookie

Internet 940+ mbps

When will you guys add support for buying our own hardware for these speeds?

8 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Internet 940+ mbps

@Wolf wrote:

When will you guys add support for buying our own hardware for these speeds?

I'm guessing that you intended "you guys" to mean Spectrum's technical management, not those who read the forums.  The folks here aren't Spectrum employees (unless you see those words in their user name), we are customer volunteers who try to assist new users in resolving issues with their internet service and connections. 

That said, here's my opinion:  Don't expect Spectrum to approve user-owned Gigabit modems until after they first remove the extra "Gigabit Installation charge" (which is really just a billed service call to make sure their existing cable to your home will work for that speed tier).  They continue making costly repairs to fix cable problems in the metro areas where they hoped to first roll out Gigabit, they have not resolved bottlenecks and transfer delays at their handful of IXP locations, and still haven't gotten IPv6 DNS working. 

Highlighted
Sharer

At this point, Spectrum is providing the modem at no charge. If you need 940 now, why not get it working now and use their modem until the allow you to purchase your own modem for that service level?
Participant

i put this nic  

Intel E10G42BTDA Server Adapter X520-DA2 10Gbps PCI Express 2.0 x8

cuz im waiting for that gig speed here in my area  i recoment that im also shoppin for a router that can get me faster then the gig speed they will provide  an oh yeah i highly recomend you get a new m.2 ssd like the new samsung that is also super fast cuz ul need it for the gig speeds

Rookie

I already have this plan I was just curious, thanks for the clarification. My speed tests are just inconsistent sometimes. I get speeds around 955mbps and other times it's around 500mbps.
Lead Moderator

@Wolf Good morning. 

If you are having inconsistent speeds we would be happy to take a look into this.

We've got quite a few folks who participate here who are very knowledgeable and

I'm sure would be happy to pitch in.  

You can find some information that will help with that process here: 

DATA-TO-POST-TO-GET-HELP-FROM-THE-COMMUNITY

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Helper

@Wolf wrote:
I already have this plan I was just curious, thanks for the clarification. My speed tests are just inconsistent sometimes. I get speeds around 955mbps and other times it's around 500mbps.

As @Julia_R said, please post some of the data from the modem and give us some details about how the modem is connected to the main line. You shouldn't be seeing that kind of fluctuation, all things being equal, with a direct connection from the modem to the computer.

Newcomer

A free modem? Yes.

A $199.99 installation fee for exsisting customers? YES.

Self-install for Gig will never be a thing when they can get us to pay $200 to push a button to provision a modem.

Lead Moderator

Morning @brafly98 

There is quite a bit more to it than "pushing a button".

The Installation fee for Spectrum Internet Gig covers the demand on our infrastructure, the use of greater bandwidth, and system monitoring.

The Installation fee is part of overall Spectrum Internet Gig pricing structure that recovers higher network costs.

WiFi service is included as part of Spectrum Internet Gig (both the Installation and monthly recurring fee are waived).

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums