Participant

Re: Intermittent speed and connections

Oh, as far as provisioning, I saw that, but the support tech only said he was going to do a ping test.  that is when he saw the dropped packets. but timing wise, it was at about that time.  (it drives me nuts that the modem uses UTC then goes to local time in the log).  at least the log events are in order!  Smiley Wink

Participant

On the DCX3200M HD STB, it is interesting you see that.  not quite a year ago, a pole tech found that that box was beaconing and came in and did some work on the cables and it was fine according to his equipment.

looks like it is doing it again.  I can power it off and see if that changes the signals, right?

Participant

I just checked my Moto HDR sN and it does not end in 0481... Neither does the other STB end in 0481
Is it absolutely one if mine, or could it be a neighbors?
Agentx5, You are a great resource. I am finding this stuff interesting.
Thanks for all your assistance in the diagnostics.
Ron
Not applicable

I'm not a tech person, and I don't think your issue is the same as I had, but I wanted to mention that I experienced many occasions where my regular 100+ Mbps speed dropped off sharply after I started TWC service last Aug.  I had tech support people looking into this, including three visits to my home, but never determined what was causing this intermittent speed issue.  The last field tech person said it seemed to narrow down to either computer or modem as the cause.  So he replaced my modem with a different brand, Arris, and since then it's been fine.  I had previously received a replacement of the same brand as originally installed, which I believe was Motorola, and that second one didn't improve the situation.  Only when the original brand was replaced with this Arris modem did I seem to have consistent speed with no drop-off as before.  So I feel like that original modem brand is problematic and shouldn't be given to customers if it's that unreliable. 

Expert

This needs TWC out to fix the levels... Do you have an in house amplifier or an active splitter-amplifier?

Are there any open splitter ports?

is this a 2,3 or 4 way ?

Participant

The last time the coax was modified was when a TWC tech modified it due to a HDR beaconing.  And he was VERY thorough in checking the levels after he did so.

I used ot have all unused ends covered.  Now there are no unused ends at splitters or wall connects or cables.

The cable does basically this:

Coax in -> 2 way splitter #1

2 way splitter #1 -> Modem

-> Power over Coax Splitter/Amp (from TWC)

Power over Coax Splitter/Amp -> 2 way splitter #2

-> local TV input

2 way splitter #2  -> STB #1

->  STB#2

Expert

power over coax amp???? what?

need amp model #

i assume one device is a power adder or diplexer and has a ac power supply (wall wort style" scrwed onto the power port.

Participant

lol, sorry it is the networking engineer in me... I think Power Over Ethernet, so I defaulted to Power over Coax as the amplifier has a wall wart with a coax output that connects to the Splitter / Amp to provide power (via a dedicated coax cable).  Not my area of expertise, clearly!  Smiley Wink

Expert

Which amplifier ?    need the exact model # as there is one TWC has been incorrectly installing 

Participant

Here is what is on the amplifier...

Antronix, MRA1-15

Also, I made a mistake on the above description...  remove the "local TV" on the splitter/Amp.  there is no cable connected to the local TV or from the coax.  it only uses Roku.

What I called a splitter/amp is only an amp. 

one input, one power, and one output (amplified).