Valued Participant

Re: Intermittent downstream speed issues: Lost MDD Timeout...

Also, MsRaye, may I ask what your background is? Please don't think that I'm challenging you, but when the tech comes, I'd like to say 'an expert (fill in the blank) on the TWC forums' said to separate the VOIP & modem, rather than 'someone on the forum'
Valued Participant

I would hope that people following this thread would think that I was diving deeper into a problem to find the root cause, rather than hijacking it. I don't think that I've diverted from the original issue, but apologize if I have. I do acknowledge that I've asked a lot of questions about details that might be related, but not needed to solve the problem.

WRT to twcwf ... I hope most of all that his issue was resolved, but if not, I don't think I've done anything to prevent him from letting us know.

Valued Participant

I missed providing one bit of data MsRaye asked for.
Zipcode is 27106, Winston Salem, NC
Expert

40,41,42 are pretty weak, 43 is quite strong but some of the tvfool database is in error.

It's all I have to work with remotely:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cbb923ce7b15

You also have to print out a "broadcast TV frequencies" conversion chart....

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Television_Frequencies

You can also WIKI the Cable channel listings that applied to the old analog NTSC systems. Qam is on the same 6 mHz slots.

everything above 13 is offset and does overlap between broadcast and cable slots.

Sharer

It's forum etiquette.  Taking over someone's thread with your own issue instead of starting your own thread, is termed "hijacking" on all web forums, and in newsgroups.  It is generally a rule of all technical web forums to start your own thread, not to tack your issue onto one already started. This has been the case since the days of newsgroups in the mid-1990s before web forums even existed, and on every tech forum I have participated in over the past 20+ years.

One of the many reasons for this is that helpers like MsRaye and agentx5, who help dozens of people at the same time, cannot easily keep track of multiple users with similar issues in the same thread, and consequently confusing who's done what, what the techs have done to each user's system, etc.

Obviously, it also can cause the original poster to drop out and never give or get a followup, as unfortunately appears to have happened here.

It's not a negative statement about you, it's just an observation and suggestion for the future.  That said..... twcwf, myself, you, and some other posters with very similar problems all using the SB6141 modem, are all in fairly close proximity in NC.  I'm in Greensboro, you in W-S, another in Belews Creek, another in Durham,  twcwf in Wake Forest.

Valued Participant

Well, I dosincerely apologize. I have participated on a number of forums for many years, and most that come to mind will tell an OP to go look at another thread that has already started on a particular problem.

That said ... would it be worthwhile to start a new one now? 

My current thought is that I should wait until after TWC has been here for a new cable & some terminators, report that has been completed, then start a new thread if my problem recurrs. Reasonable?

Sharer

That's up to you and MsRaye.  Since 3 of this thread's 4 pages are on your issue, I suspect she'll prefer you just continue this one.  twcwf may want to start a new thread if his issue has not been fixed, again that's up to him amd MsRaye.

Just as point of information, on most tech forums, when someone is told to look at another similar thread, it is to glean info and sometimes to offer advice or additional info..... not to add another person's issue to the mix, unless it's a thread reporting issues from an update or similar.

I'm more concerned about whether twcwf's issue was resolved, as it relates to issues with the SB6141 that a number of others are having.

Valued Participant

I understand, and I'll start my own thread the next time I have an issue.

TWC had an opening just a little while ago.

The MoCA amp itself was generating noise, and we had one TV that was not securely tightened. 

Amp was replaced, new coax run so that VOIP & modem are coming out of separate ports. I did the grunt work of running the cable (bent over in the eaves of my attic to get the cable up from my homerun panel. I think he appreciated it, esp. as that part of the attic has no floor, I had my knees on the trusses, and he is 6'8")

My project over the weekend is to check all the outlets on both sides of the plate, and to pick up some terminators. The terminators that the tech had were not consumer removable, so he recommended that I just get my own.

Thanks to you for pointing out the etiquette for this forum, and MsRaye for the suggestions.

Sharer

Nice of you to run the cable in the attic, the TWC tech probably put you on his Christmas list for that!  Please keep an eye on your modem signal page and event log page for a week after you get the terminators on, to see if your issues are fixed. 

I've had everything in, under and to my house replaced, as well as the neighborhood amps replaced and balanced, and the connections to my nearest neighbors on the pole checked, and I still have issues with Partial Service Fallbacks and dropped channels (5 or 6 downstream instead of the usual 8), using three different SB6141 modems, but not with two different 16-channel leased modems loaned for testing.  I'm in Greensboro.  TWC engineers are now testing the leased 6141 at the TWC office nearby, and it has the same issues there.  They are trying to determine the cause.

If you haven't read my thread and have time for a short novel, it's here:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Bonded-downstream-channels/m-p/107784#U107784

Valued Participant

I also messaged twcwf to see if his problems had been resolved.