Community Manager

Re: Million Uncorrectables over 24 hour period

@gregab25

Thanks for the update and feedback.  Sounds like the issue is resolved, but please let us know if the issue returns.  

Helper

Hopefully your problem is fixed now. I would just like to say that uncorrectables can be a symptom of a larger problem (damaged coax or loose connectors, for example). 

Also, there really is no reason to turn off the modem...in fact it can really cause you more headaches.

Not applicable

errors3.pngerrors4.png

@James_M

The technician stated the T3 timeouts were due to the modem not being registered, but they continue to happen.  RCS Partial Service and Lost MDD messages are also being logged. 

We had wide spread pixelation on the tv last night between 8-10pm and we are still getting occasional buffering on Twitch and Youtube. During gaming we get bursts of packet loss that disconnect us from the servers. 

I have been told ping -t isn't the best tool, but i am seeing a few dropped packets on a ping -t test to google. 

I really do not know what to do. The technician showed me that the signal looked good everythnig was green except the MER and BER, which both went green after he changed the coaxial he was using. 

The error messages and uncorrectables on the modem really bother me, especially when there is video buffering and a small amount of packet loss.   I also believe the sample size the technicans use of testing for five minutes or so is too small for intermittent problems. 

Can someone definitively tell me if these uncorrectables and modem error message are fine or if i have a ongoing problem? 

Not applicable

errors5.png

Monday November 19 2018

Problems persists. It is absolutely awful during the evening. Same error messages have been repeating every minute for hours. Yet cannot get anyone at Spectrum in Irving, Texas to diagnose the problem. 

Beyond Frustrated. 

@James_M @Julia_R

Community Manager

We'd be happy to look into this and troubleshoot further with you.  

Please contact us at: 

Not applicable

11202018morning.png

Posting this to show the typical behavior of our problem. You can see from the last post, that when the intermittent probem is going, it is at its worst during the evening.  Now, looking at this current log, shows  that during the dead of night there are much less issues. Then around 10-11am the errors start and continue throughout the day peaking in the evening. This has always been the pattern for as long as we have had problems. 

We have scheduled another tech visit for Wednesday between 7-8pm hoping to catch it then. So far our luck has not been good with having issues while the tech is here. 

Not applicable

- Updated original post to include suggested data to get help from community. 

- Updated thread subject to better reflect the problem. 

112118_00_00_00.pngAs you can see from this log, the issues today mainly occured around 2pm and between 4-6pm. Whereas the previous day it was 7-9pm. 

Also, the last two nights, some time around midnight some of the DCID channels have changed without the modem being turned off. This has reset the correctables/uncorrectabes counter for the affected channels.  The correctables/uncorrectables continue to rise across all channels however. 

Not applicable

Spectrum is trying very hard to find the problem, but unfortunately a tech needs to be out at the same time the intermittent problem is occuring. So far this has proved difficult. 

The support from Spectrum and the techs has been great. Cannot fault them for their efforts. 

Things were fine for the most part over Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Saturday. Then this morning: 

1125sundaymorning2.png1125morningcorrectables.pngpathping.png

Highlighted
Not applicable

Luck was finally on our side Monday night. Had another great technician out and the problem was actually occurring while he was here. Such a relief! The problem is  a bad MER and BER. Technician found bad signals at the modem and then at the line into the house.  A line maintenance crew is suppose to come out and fix it. Crossing our fingers everything gets fixed. 

Not applicable

So we got a voicemail at around 9am this morning saying the line work had been completed, yet they did not fix the problem. Uncorrectables 10000 at a time, same T3 timeouts, RCS partial service, and MDD errors. 

The only difference we can see after line maintenance is a higher downstream power level which is at almost +12 on some channels. Pretty close to out of spec. 

We were given an 888 to call to report if the problem was not fixed. When we called this number it said we were being transferred to a rep and then a  recorded message played saying "this is RC tech support" and then the call ends. 

We called the regular Spectrum support number and the rep said we have to go all the way back to step one, with a tier 1 support havng to come out to catch the intermittent problem again!

This is an exact repeat of our experience in 2017. Three techs out to catch intermittent problem. Third tech sees signal issues at the tap. Line maintenance comes out and does not fix the problem, and we are kicked back to step 1. 

The technicians and support people at Spectrum have been fantastic, but we are growing frustrated with this process.