Observer

Intermittent Internet Issues

Actually, as i type this, I think I would consider my internet service "sporatic" at best.  Let me lay the situation on you and see if anyone else has some ideas...

Beginning in March of 2016, I've had random "drops" of connectivity.  I.E. can be surfing along and randomly get "resolving DNS" or I could be on my cell connected to WIFI and it would randomly disconnect and switch to 4G.

I've had 6 total visits so far to my home in Plano.  First visit scored us a new underground line from the tap to the house. 2nd through 5th visit scored us a new ground block and new connectors every visit.  I think the 3rd visit the tech added a splitter before the modem; 4th visit removed the same splitter.  I've had 4 modem watches to no new result as well as probably 15 phone calls to TWC.  I've contacted the manufacturer (Arris\Motorola) as it is my personally owned modem, only to be told the signal levels are too low.  Modem model is a SBG6782-AC.  On the most recent visit, we were graced by the presence of a TWC supervisor who proceeded to boast about the repairs they just made to the tap and that we shouldn't experience any more issues.  Here we are a week later, facing the same problem.  The signal levels improve for approximately 12 hours, leading to one or more channels showing a 4:1 ratio of uncorrected to corrected.  I was left a splitter on the last visit to try to attempt to boost the upstream but when installed the  downstream power drops below -7DBmV.  I've been given conflicting stories about "maintenance" being scheduled and being performed.  I was also told by the supervisor that we "are at the end of the line; and the signal is what it is for being as far away from the plant as you are".  Don't think this is an acceptable rationale being that I can only use one cable company in my area.  To say I'm exasperated would an understatement.  At this point, between the TWC and MFR reps, we're on a first name basis almost and I should probably start sending their kids birthday presents...

Here's my current levels.  Mind you, the last TWC rep I spoke with about twenty minutes ago reset my modem.  He also placed it under yet another modem watch and told me that "if my internet is still having the same issues to call back and cancel the service."  Awesome...

ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel Locked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOK 
SecurityEnabledBPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels
ChannelLock StatusModulationChannel IDFrequencyPowerSNRCorrectedUncorrectables
1LockedQAM25624813000000 Hz-3.5 dBmV40.3 dB00
2LockedQAM25623807000000 Hz-4.2 dBmV39.9 dB00
3LockedQAM25625819000000 Hz-3.5 dBmV40.4 dB00
4LockedQAM25627831000000 Hz-4.1 dBmV39.9 dB00
5LockedQAM25628837000000 Hz-5.3 dBmV39.2 dB00
6LockedQAM25629843000000 Hz-4.6 dBmV39.0 dB00
7LockedQAM25630849000000 Hz-5.2 dBmV39.4 dB00
8LockedQAM25631855000000 Hz-4.1 dBmV40.2 dB00

Upstream Bonded Channels
ChannelLock StatusUS Channel TypeChannel IDSymbol RateFrequencyPower
1LockedATDMA905120 Ksym/sec24200000 Hz31.8 dBmV
2LockedTDMA892560 Ksym/sec19400000 Hz31.3 dBmV
3LockedATDMA915120 Ksym/sec30600000 Hz32.8 dBmV
4LockedATDMA922560 Ksym/sec37000000 Hz34.0 dBmV

Just an FYI...  I've checked my connections, all are more than finger tight as recommended.  There are no splitters between the modem and the tap, only a groundblock outside.  The feeder coming from the tap was replaced in May i think, maybe early June, and it's RG11 roughly 75 feet to the ground block.  No noticeable damage to any cable.  I've been reading forum posts for a while now; at this point I can troubleshoot with the best of them...

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Intermittent Internet Issues

Levels stink unless you're 400' from the street.

With DS levels that low the US levels should be closer to +50 dBmv.

This is not a problem in your house, it's out on the street and needs the bucket truck crew to go thru amplifiers and set the gain properly.

With a US level down around +30 dBmv, I'd expect to see the DS level up near +10 dBmv or higher and then, yes an attenuator or a 4 port splitter would help normalize levels.

Newcomer

That is totally correct! I live in KY and had the EXACT same issue only to find out it was at the poles on the street! (After 2 years). I work from home and my service is imperative for TWC to get paid so when I finally saw a guy messing with the pole outside, the question occurred what if it's not MY house? After a discussion with one of the techs that I had got to know very well from all the service calls, I requested a truck crew come check the lines at the poles on our street. The issue was the power is supposed to either increase or decrease from pole to pole. Instead we had ups and downs all over between the poles!!! They took about three days and reran the correct formation on the lines for the street and VOILA! No more issues!! From a customer standpoint, after ALL that time, I learned that TWC uses subcontractors to do a lot of their work- often run through a quick connection course- rather than a seasoned trained technician who understands the whole concept. So **bleep** would fix what he thought it was, Tom would undo it through many cycles of calls....only to have Mr. TWC come fix the pole with his full on training and it was done. Had we started with him first? OH Happy Day that would've been!! I hope you get it all fixed and congrats on now being as smart as the subcontractors they use...maybe they can be your back up if you need a job!! LOL! I'm still with them because I'd be stupid to stop now with everything working, but what a lesson to get good service!! Don't give up!!
Expert

I sense resentment between the TWC employees and the subcontractors resulting in no communications and possibly the subs don't get paid if they  don't "fix" a problem and have to refer it to someone else.

And yes if levels at your pole are bad, they need to go all the way back to the fiber converters and work their way back to you and probably past as well. That can take several techs a day to normalize or ballance the levels properly.

twc won't spend the money.

Observer

So to provide an update...

Spoke with TWC Phone Rep yesterday while sitting in traffic.  He ran a system check of the area based on the information provided by all involved and the information I had gathered while scavenging through the forums.  Turns out, over 15% of the subscribers in my area also experience the same issues and either don't report it, don't notice it, or have no idea what they are experiencing is not proper function of their service.  Totals somewhere in the ballpark of 215 subscribers...

To make the long story short, a ticket was turned in for the maintenance crew to check the lines along my area and repair what was neccessary.  Claims it could take anywhere from a week to a month for the signal to improve.  I'm still debating if this is an accurate assement of what has actually occured or if its fluff to get me to quit pestering them for at least a month.  Time will tell.  But until I see a marked improvement from where we sit currently, they'll have the joy of hearing from my bubbly self to confirm progress is being made.  Lucky them, right?

Observer

This will be a third attempt to post this. Tier 3 told me I "was green across the boards" again last night. Now apparently it's a modem issue. Conveniently due to the fact I provide my own modem and it is now not listed as a recommended modem anymore. It was when I purchased it 5 months ago. Modem is a Motorola\Arris SBG6782-AC. Now I ordered a new modem from Amazon. TP Link i believe. However, if the signal levels below remain the same is it really going to change anything? My patience is beginning to wear thin with TWC... 

See levels below...

Observer

Startup Procedure

ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel Locked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOK 
SecurityEnabledBPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels
ChannelLock StatusModulationChannel IDFrequencyPowerSNRCorrectedUncorrectables
1LockedQAM2569723000000 Hz-2.9 dBmV40.7 dB00
2LockedQAM25610729000000 Hz-3.0 dBmV40.4 dB00
3LockedQAM25611735000000 Hz-2.8 dBmV40.3 dB00
4LockedQAM25612741000000 Hz-3.2 dBmV39.8 dB00
5LockedQAM25613747000000 Hz-3.0 dBmV40.7 dB00
6LockedQAM25615759000000 Hz-3.1 dBmV40.3 dB00
7LockedQAM25617771000000 Hz-3.1 dBmV40.8 dB00
8LockedQAM25618777000000 Hz-3.1 dBmV40.8 dB00

Upstream Bonded Channels
ChannelLock StatusUS Channel TypeChannel IDSymbol RateFrequencyPower
1LockedATDMA905120 Ksym/sec24200000 Hz32.3 dBmV
2LockedTDMA892560 Ksym/sec19400000 Hz31.5 dBmV
3LockedATDMA915120 Ksym/sec30600000 Hz33.3 dBmV
4LockedATDMA922560 Ksym/sec37000000 Hz34.3 dBmV

Expert

There is a problem out on the amps and hardline along the streets on your node. Levels are no where near ballanced

But, the modem should be able to handle them.

See if the new modem solves the issue.

Newcomer

WOW. This all sounds extremely familiar. So far, I have called TWC 5 times and attempted internet chat to resolve our sporatic internet service. To say this is frustrating is an understatement. I'm getting downright angry. Every time I go through the same routine with the representative on the phone. Now, first of all, (no offense to any other cultures,) I end up talking with a person from India. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that I'm not being helped by someone local or even someone who actually lives in our country. However, they are always pleasant and TRY to be helpful, BUT THE END RESULT IS ALWAYS THE SAME. They try reseting my modem, they will put my modem on a 24 hour watch. Now, the latest is that I have to drive about 45 minutes away to exchange my modem that isn't even six months old!!! Why in the heck do I have to drive 45 minutes away to exchange my modem??? I have asked for TWC to send someone out to check the line from the house to the pole but am instructed to do the modem exchange first. This crap is getting REAL OLD REAL FAST. I work late hours and it is pretty much impossible to make it to the TWC center, (remember-45 minutes away in good traffic,) without me taking a half day off of work. 

Now ON TOP OF ALL OF THIS...I found out that TWC is now upping my bill by $25!!!!!! REALLY TWC??? FOR SHAME, fix my internet issue or else the crappy service isn't even worth $1 a month. 

Another issue is that I had documents that I had to have in by a deadline via internet/email, for my work and was UNABLE to get them sent, which in turn I ended up getting reprimanded for with my employer. I should be able to rely on my internet service which TWC now wants to charge me $110/month for. 

Why is it I am paying TWC for an intermittent internet service, spending hours on the phone with various reps and NOW, THE ULTIMATE SLAP IN THE FACE...be expected to drive, at my own expense and time, to exchange the modem which is most likely NOT the problem from everything I've read in these forum. 

I am fully expecting to be reimbursed or have my service pro-rated for the last 4 1/2 months of frustrating, intermittent service. 

What the he** Time Warner Cable? What am I paying for?

Expert

Start a new connectivity thread. Post the signal level and error log pages. Don't reset the modem, need to see some real history