Participant

Re: Intermittent Internet Disconnects for the last couple of days

My memory must be going. It is a 3-way splitter not a 4-way, sorry about that. Attaching a picture of what is in the box.

Couldn't figure out how to get the picture attached here so hopefully you can view this link

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/8BSEfWscRber3qBUvaWBjgjUFLVo42BuWMcapIDBmyi

Participant

A few hours before the technician is supposed to be arriving and miraculously, everything is working again. The phone works, the DVR status (from the TWC website) says it is online where it said it was offline before, The internet cable modem is online where it was saying it was offline before (which didn't make sense as the internet was working).

By coincidence, this is the third time from memory in the past few years where issues have suddenly all gone away a few hours before a technician was supposed to arrive. I have rescheduled the technician for next week as everything is fine now. If it goes again, I know someone is scheduled to come.

Highlighted
Sharer

@rmmeli wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/8BSEfWscRber3qBUvaWBjgjUFLVo42BuWMcapIDBmyi

That's total garbage.  

That is also a 4-way splitter.  Note the 4 outputs and the marking that states, "4-WAY SPLITTER". Smiley Wink  

If you don't need/aren't using all four, then the wrong splitter is installed; an exact capacity splitter should be used.

Splitter is attenuating your signal 7.5 dBm, breaking your upstream (it's maxed and is only using half the channels BECAUSE IT MUST SCREAM TO BE HEARD!!!); modem should be on a -3.5 split.

Splitter isn't grounded.

Barrel doesn't look grounded but it's hard to tell sinceeverythingiscrammedintothattinybox.  This violates electric codes, safety, and basic human decency.

What is that filter/trap thing?  Is it necessary or is it a workaround for another unresolved problem?  It's also attenuating your signal.

Cables are bent, stressed, especially coming off the connectors due to squeezing everything into that puny box rather than putting a proper-sized box in.

Connectors aren't horizontal.

There are no drip loops or maintenance loops.

I think it's a safe assumption that dielectric grease never entered into this.  It might even be a safe assumption that the tech who installed this mess has never heard of "dielectric grease".

Some diagrams from actual training for actual professional installers:

http://www.slideshare.net/spicherheidi/dish4you-cables-and-connectors

Expert

There is a grounding block behind the 4 way splitter, but it has 10 year old corroded connectors, I'll bet taking off the cover wiggled something around and it's working better for now.

I'd replace it all and put the grounding block right on the rg 11 UG line and eliminate 3 connections for a start, then if you only have 3 devices, put in a 3 way splitter and replace all the connectors as well, both outside and inside.

Participant

This raises an interesting question. Who owns this piece of equipment. Is it TWC or me? It has been like this since we moved into this house 12 years ago. I agree that it is all stuffed into a box that is too small but I assumed it was owned by TWC.

Participant

For reference, here is internet modem stats as of now with everything looking like it is working correctly.

Status

The statuses listed show the connection state of the cable modem. They are used by your service provider to evaluate the operation of the cable modem.

Startup Procedure
ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel Locked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOK 
SecurityEnabledBPI+
DOCSIS Network Access EnabledAllowed 

Downstream Bonded Channels
ChannelLock StatusModulationChannel IDFrequencyPowerSNRCorrectedUncorrectables
1LockedQAM2569507000000 Hz-4.7 dBmV39.6 dB00
2LockedQAM25610513000000 Hz-5.7 dBmV40.2 dB00
3LockedQAM25611519000000 Hz-5.6 dBmV40.2 dB00
4LockedQAM25612525000000 Hz-5.4 dBmV40.3 dB00
5LockedQAM25613531000000 Hz-6.4 dBmV40.0 dB00
6LockedQAM25614537000000 Hz-6.7 dBmV39.9 dB00
7LockedQAM25615543000000 Hz-6.5 dBmV39.9 dB00
8LockedQAM25616549000000 Hz-6.5 dBmV39.9 dB00
9LockedQAM25617555000000 Hz-6.9 dBmV39.4 dB00
10LockedQAM25618561000000 Hz-7.2 dBmV39.3 dB00
11LockedQAM25619567000000 Hz-7.8 dBmV39.2 dB00
12LockedQAM25620573000000 Hz-7.9 dBmV39.1 dB00
13LockedQAM25621579000000 Hz-8.3 dBmV38.9 dB00
14LockedQAM25622585000000 Hz-8.8 dBmV38.7 dB00
15LockedQAM25623591000000 Hz-8.4 dBmV38.8 dB00
16LockedQAM25624597000000 Hz-8.1 dBmV39.1 dB00

Upstream Bonded Channels
ChannelLock StatusUS Channel TypeChannel IDSymbol RateFrequencyPower
1LockedATDMA25120 Ksym/sec24200000 Hz50.5 dBmV
2LockedTDMA12560 Ksym/sec19400000 Hz50.0 dBmV
3LockedATDMA35120 Ksym/sec30600000 Hz51.0 dBmV
4LockedATDMA42560 Ksym/sec37000000 Hz50.5 dBmV

Current System Time: Sat Nov 19 16:04:49 2016

Participant

I have no idea what that filter is doing in there. To be honest didn't even notice in there until you mentioned it. Not fixing a problem that I know about.

Expert

There is no filter in the box, Those compression connectors with the blue rings are really old and both them and the splitter are corroded. I'll bet something connected better by simply pulling off the cover and wiggling the cables. But it's going to get bad again.

If you only have 3 devices, the 4th line should be terminated and I'd get a -3.5 -7 -7 splittter in there with the modem on the -3.5 port.

Your level is marginal and a 3.5 dB signal improvement should fix it.

I'd take a 7/16 wrench and break loose and retighten all the connectors.

Yeah the outside stuff is TWC's and it should be replaced when this reoccurs. It's like $5 worth of parts and 10 minutes labor

Since this is underground, I'd make sure they replace whatever connectors are in the pedestal/ pole as well

Proven Sharer

To answer your earlier question of who owns what at your home install, TWC owns the physical cable and hardware they install.  They are responsible for maintaining it to the extent needeed to deliver the services and speeds you pay for each month.  If you pay TWC to rent  a modem and router (usually a combined unit), they also own and maintain those boxes. 

You can optionally provide your own modem and router without paying TWC, but YOU are responsible for repair and maintenance of those items.  In this forum that approach is often called out as COAM or CPE, which stand for "Customer Owned And Maintained" or "Customer Provided Equipment." 

When you first connect your modem to the TWC system, whether rented or COAM, TWC downloads the operating software needed to provision your modem for the speeds and features you pay for on their system.  If the version TWC has tested and approved is not the latest code shipped by the manufacturer, your modem could be downgraded to an earlier software version.

Participant

The technician came today. He was very good and did a thorough check inside and out. He removed the 4-way splitter and in the box on the outside wall and replaced it with a 2-way as that is all I need now. He did find something interesting in that my powerline adapters were generating a lot of upstream noise. I assume there is a problem somewhere with the cable shielding and the noise is getting onto the cable signal. We removed the powerline adapters and it all went away. I don't really need them anyway. Everything looks fine now.