Proven Sharer

Re: Intermittent Broadband connections from any Charter Modem/Router

Sorry, I thought you OWNED the Arris and the separate router boxes, therefore still had them available to use for testing.  Maybe a net-friend could loan you their (customer-owned) spare Arris modem for a few days?

Not applicable

Hi Karl,

Sorry,  I don't own any of this particular gear. I did have some arround.. Hm...... Wait a sec. I might actually have bought a Docsis 3.1 modem awhile back and completely forgot about it. I'd have to stop by work to figure that out. Thanks for reminding me Smiley Wink

Also -- you're right, 1/2 the neighborhood has this same stuff, more or less, but there is one problem. Docsis modem's have to be 'registered' once at the house, right? Each tech that's been out has said that. I'll look that bit up. 

Appreciate it !  --- Papo

Expert

Hook it up, you won't get any internet service but will get the signal and error log pages and a reroute to Spectrum to "activate" the modem... Just don't do that.

levels will be 3 Db worst on the -7 port but hopefully it has a readable log... If it drops at the same time as the Spectrum modem it sure isn't the modems fault...

If it'ds a modem only, the page will be at 192.168.0.1 and if it has an internal router, 192.168.100.1

Not applicable

MsRaye - 

When I figure out where I left it, I'll try it! Thanks. 

I've tried the 192.168.100.1 on the single tier modems and both addresses are functionally identical. They show the router/modem. No extra logs, but I'm on the UBEE still. 

So here's a thing that may have  happened regarding my connectivity. I've been keeping a journal of whatever the heck happens or any changes for a week+ now. 2 nights ago, everyone in my neighborhood lost Spectrum connectivity entirely for 3.5 hours. 

Spectrum trucks showed up ~7am or so and stayed here  & there at AP's in the hood and worked. During all this time, there was no such thing as logging on. When they were done, my modem/router came up and has been solidly up since, for 1.5 days, which is a personal record. 

So, after all my questions to Spectrum about whether they had a new problem on their end to which they said "NO" , it might, maybe , perhaps be the case that they did have a problem on their end. I've not changed a thing, but have had no broadband errors. (of course I just jinxed myself by saying so and will probably lose signal in 5 minutes for a week Smiley Wink

I'm still insisting they bring out proper tools (Spectrum analyzer, and new splitters ) tomorrow to finish this thing up and do some proper tests. I'll update then and a few days after. If I  have signal for a week, I'll consider this chapter over, not before.

Thanks you all MsRaye & karlbeckman for your help and ideas. Anything else pops into your head , please mention it. I'll just use it as if it's a real connection until something else happens. 

Merry Xmas - / whatever Smiley Wink

Not applicable

Well I may have forgotten the important or an important piece of this. The Spectrum guys, when they were out during the outage, wouldn't tell me what the problem was. Maybe they hadn't found it yet. 

Whatever they did probably changed the entire neighborhood equation. I'm guessing it was a combo of something wrong in a junction or "big" cable and something setup wrong down at HQ. Enough to give me my problem that started 10 days back, and maybe everyone else as well. 

Spectrum... Smiley Wink.  Not sure why they're so reluctant to discuss their troubles, but they are.

Not applicable

Just following up after my latest (1 hour ago) Spectrum service guy (who I really liked for a change) after escalating things to whatever the next level was:

First - Maybe most important: The system-wide outage on 24th midnight  -> 3am caught some attention in my neighborhood, and "something was repaired" in the Spectrum system "at large" but no one can tell me what.

The good news for me, at least, is that I'm no longer having broadband drops, so whatever they fixed might have fixed me. I rescheduled today's appt out one week because if I can make it one week without drops, I'm going to be OK marking this problem as "solved".

Problematic for me is due to being a network techie/eng for many years is that I don't know what got fixed, nor how it fixed anything for me, so I spent most of today's visit trying to find that info out. Either I won't find out (most likely) or I will and will report it here for other's benefit or curiousity.

And: If I don't make it a full week without no service disruptions, then they've agreed to get me a modem with event log-keeping abilities and a separate 2 or 3 piece hookup including .. router & tel. I'm fine with this at this point. I even can get the same tech that I liked, as today in a week. 

So to you that helped :: Just thanks a million, and I'll add any info that seems pertinent to this saga! 

Thanks.

Expert

Probably a bunch of corroded connections along the line or a chewed up piece of hardline along the road somewhere from tree branches rubbing on it. Or they split the node into 2 or 3 seperate legs and you're no longer on the bad one. Maybe bad line amps, etc.

The in house guys get no info on what the boom truck guys fix..., and well phone support has less info.

best bet if follow the line back to the fiber to coax hybrid and see what's shiny and new, lol.

You shoulda checked the route for egress as I'll bet that's where ingress and intermittents were.

Not applicable

Probably. Whatever they did with the bucket truck probably changed the whole calculus of this thing. I'll never know and you're right, there's no transference of ideas from one group to the next , of course Smiley Wink

The very smart/nice person that came out yesterday and will be out in one week, basically has one request from me. To find out what went wrong and what got changed. I'm too curious for my own good I guess.  I like to hold onto these bits of info for any future happenings. 

All has worked well for 3 days or so now. Not a hiccup. Sure wasn't anything I did. I could only check ingress to the street hub but yanked it off, all is shiny new there. Even they ran new conduit from hub to house. 

Thanks much!

Expert

here in NEO, just about every other overhead tap off has issues and probably 1 in 5 underground pedestals... All that adds together  lowereing everyone on the nodes speed. Add in bad amp modules, arcing ground connections and customer tapped side issues, they all slow down everyone on the node.

Especially where road salt and lawn pesticides have attacked the aluminum...

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

I meant the second choice - when WiFi interference is detected the router stops passing ethernet traffic and attempts to restore a reliable connection to the wireless units that were communicating through the router prior to the interference.