Browser

Increased ping after speed upgrade?

I upgraded to the spectrum 60/5 package yesterday, and the speeds are great...however it appears that my ping to certain online games has increased by 20-30ms. Is there a reason behind this? I noticed that my IP address changed when the speed was increased. Is that related at all? We were also given a newer modem, so could that also be why? 

17 REPLIES 17
Expert

Re: Increased ping after speed upgrade?

ping time doesn't matter as long as it's stable.

public IP's change whenever modems or routers are changed.

But, would really need to see a before and after tracert to see where there's a difference.

Browser

Ping doesn't matter? For certain games it absolutley matters..and an increase of 30 is quite significant for certain games. I really wish I had done a traceroute before upgrading to this modem, because I can't use the old one anymore. 

Also, is it possible that my issue would be resolved if I replace the modem? 

Expert

Ping time doesn't matter, the game server looks at and corrects the fastest ping time so it matches the slowest one so there's no advantage... 

But it will generally stop at 80 or 100 ms.   And if ping times widely jitter, the automatic compensation doesn't quickly change.

Different modem won't help, you're better off with the free spectrum one provided you don't need advanced router options

This really sounds like general spectrum network slowdowns, throttling at the transport provider like Level 3 or Tcore.

what's a tracert to google and another to the game server look like?

BTW faster is not better, good luck gaming on a 200 or 300 meg connection....

Browser

I don't quite understand what you meant by the game server looking at and picking the fastest ping times. Can you explain that a bit more? 

Its  a 20-30 increase across all games I play.  I didn't have this problem before switching modems and getting the faster internet speed, so how can you be so sure that isn't the problem? Also, If it really is a spectrum slowdown issue, will it resolve itself? 

Expert

The game server more or less sets the shortest ping times to that of the longest so that everyone is on the same field.

google "gaming ping latency compensation....

as long as you're 60 ms or less and it stays stable with little jitter, you should be good to go.

Over 80 will be an issue

Browser

I see..but isn't this for FPS games? The game I'm playing is blade and soul. It's one of the most ping reliant mmos out there at the moment. I can really feel the difference in my attacks (because your character attacks much slower if you have higher ping). Do you think this slowdown will fix itself, or am I just screwed? 

Expert

Will this get fixed? This has gotten worst in the past year.

Technicly you can't on cable modems, they send erratic not stable packets faster speeds = more unevenly received packets.

there's also an error correction issue as upstream is so much slower than downstream, you can't fix errors for several DS packets since you can't send an US one, streaming media simply ignores the bad ones, lol. but gaming probably needs the bytes corrected.

Expert

You're going to need to ask at that games technical forum. See if they have a compensation limit and you're exceeding it.

I'd make sure you don't have other devices running on the lan side of the router and on a good ethernet connection with good cables. There may have been a first time setup that you need to rerun to fix the compensation. I'd also turn off Ipv6 on all devices

Expert

copy and paste the modems signal level pages, let's make sure there's not impaired channels.. Don't reset it, need to see actual history.