Highlighted
Browser

Inconsistent connectivity while gaming on XBOX ONE.

This is in response to a previous thread which mentions similar issues: http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Slow-Online-Gaming-lol-wow-etc/td-p/5737

 

My family is subscribed to 100+mbps per month. The speed tests will consistently show 116 most of the time. When the connection is good, it's very good during online play. However, several times throughout the day I will experience moderate to severe lag even though the speed tests show 116 via wireless connection.  My XBOXONE is connected via ethernet. 

 

The only solution seem to be contacting the chat technicians who explain there is interference and they will send "refresh signals" to my modem.  I am using my own modem and router as the supplied Gateway modem/router combo had similar issues after a few weeks of installation.  

I wanted to link the thread with similar issues because I also had AT&T previously, except they only offered 50mbps.  I also never had any issues with AT&T except for when my entire family would be online in the evenings.  Then there would be very minor lag, noticeable only to those familiar with the game.  The 150mbps is the exclusive reason we switched to Spectrum.  

 

Besides chatting with an online technician during gaming sessions, is there an alternative solution?

 

Thank you,

 

Brandon

26 REPLIES 26
Proven Sharer

Re: Inconsistent connectivity while gaming on XBOX ONE.


@BrandonC wrote:

The only solution seem to be contacting the chat technicians who explain there is interference and they will send "refresh signals" to my modem.  I am using my own modem and router as the supplied Gateway modem/router combo had similar issues after a few weeks of installation.  

 

Thank you,

 

Brandon


What are your modem power levels?  (Read the stickies.)  Interference implies there is ingress / egress, and the problem may lay with the wiring, and not the specific piece of equipment.  Check that connections are more than finger tight, and that there is no damaged cable in your service drop.  Ensure the modem is downstream of the FIRST splitter in your home.

Expert

Re: Inconsistent connectivity while gaming on XBOX ONE.


@dstoffa wrote:



.  "Ensure the modem is downstream of the FIRST splitter in your home."

 

That is an incorrect statement.. The modem must be on the  2 way splitter after the grounding block, not downstream of it which implies thruseveral splitters.That splitters other port is then split to feed multiple cable boxes if paid for. There cannot be any empty /open splitter ports or cables.If you are internet only, there should be NO splitters in line and modem direvcctly connected to the outside grounding block.

 

 However all the above coaxial solutions may not fix your intermittents. You probably have one or more devices running cloud/ sync, onedrive or microsofts horrid win 10 peer to peer upgrading disaster. You will need to turn off all the above or at least slap QOS restrictions on all devices

 

 

 


 

Proven Sharer

Re: Inconsistent connectivity while gaming on XBOX ONE.


@BrandonC wrote:

This is in response to a previous thread which mentions similar issues: http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Slow-Online-Gaming-lol-wow-etc/td-p/5737

 

My family is subscribed to 100+mbps per month. The speed tests will consistently show 116 most of the time. When the connection is good, it's very good during online play. However, several times throughout the day I will experience moderate to severe lag even though the speed tests show 116 via wireless connection.  My XBOXONE is connected via ethernet. 

 

The only solution seem to be contacting the chat technicians who explain there is interference and they will send "refresh signals" to my modem.  I am using my own modem and router as the supplied Gateway modem/router combo had similar issues after a few weeks of installation.  

I wanted to link the thread with similar issues because I also had AT&T previously, except they only offered 50mbps.  I also never had any issues with AT&T except for when my entire family would be online in the evenings.  Then there would be very minor lag, noticeable only to those familiar with the game.  The 150mbps is the exclusive reason we switched to Spectrum.  

( remainder deleted for brevity)

Thank you,

 

Brandon


@BrandonC

You opened by stating "My family is subscribed to 100+mbps per month. The speed tests will consistently show 116 most of the time."  Yet in the very next paragraph you complain "The 150mbps is the exclusive reason we switched to Spectrum."  Spectrum doesn't even have a 150 Mbps offering.  

The chat techs don't have a way to 'send "refresh signals" to my modem' and adjust your modem speed.  They also can't adjust your modem to compensate for network delays in other parts of the world wide web.  Nor can they remotely turn on or off the interference they claim to see on your connection.  If only fixing interference was that easy ...

 

So, No, there is no alternative solution, and chatting with an online technician during gaming sessions is also not going to resolve your problem.  You will need to collect data showing the problems you believe exist and then open a service complaint with the phone help desk.  TWC's only obligation is to provide 80% of rated download and  upload speeds for your service package.  They are not responsible when you experience network "lag" delay occurring outside their transport network.

Browser

Re: Inconsistent connectivity while gaming on XBOX ONE.

I considered this might be a coaxial problem. But the first time I called complaining about the lag it was very severe and the technician did not mention any solution. I asked if a new modem and router would help provide for better connectivity and he explained it would not. But I purchased a new moden and router and this helped significantly.  Now there is just intermittent lag.  Almost unoticeable but a huge problem, not experience with AT&T.

 

I set up the modem and router myself. We have two coax outputs in the family room.  I am not sure which one to use. One of these coax cables has a splitter.  I do not want to be charged to have a technician come and have him tell me there is not a problem with the coax cables. 

Expert

Re: Inconsistent connectivity while gaming on XBOX ONE.

Need modem signal level and error log pages, can't help any further without real data...

 

Browser

Re: Inconsistent connectivity while gaming on XBOX ONE.

It was okay the past few weeks, with only a few hours out of the day I was experiencing issues, but now I am experiencing sustained lag during gameplay on both wireless xbox one seperate and wired xbox one, even though my connection shows 100mbps.

 

This is SUSTAINED millisecond lag, every player seems to get the first shot on me.  You would not be able to tell unless you are playing, but in a first person shooter this is huge.  This started happening again within the past 3 days.  And I know I am not making this up because we have recently been having connectivity issues while trying to connect with friends AND in a few instances experiencing severe traditional lag (teleporting/rubber banding) which never happens.  What is the issue problem???

 

Expert

Re: Inconsistent connectivity while gaming on XBOX ONE.

Again, we need modem signal level pages without resetting the modem to see what's causing the T3/4 timeouts. Appears it was fine for a week.

 

Browser

Re: Inconsistent connectivity while gaming on XBOX ONE.

How long do the T3/T4 timeouts last?

 When the sustained delayed response (millisecond lag and no registration) occurs I will occasionally experience momentary rubberbanding and "teleporting" as shown in this video: https://youtu.be/52XQZGjI97o

 

Also, could the modem be the issue? 

After upgrading from the provided gateway to my own modem and router I saw improvement (I think).  If I purchased a better modem (or router) would this fi the problems?

 

Edit: I want to mention I have never experienced this with AT&T.  Could it be a coax problem?

 

Sometimes my router will reset randomly.  Which is very unusual. I have never had a router reset unless I pressed the reset up or the power goes out.  Is this normal?

 

 

 

 

 

Browser

Re: Inconsistent connectivity while gaming on XBOX ONE.

Now I am constanty being disconnected from games.