Rookie

How to determine your home's IP address remotely

I have a home in SC that has a Nest thermostat and some security cameras. I used to be able to determine my ISP assigned IP address in one of the Nest's menus but they removed that information from their remote user app. Apparently TWC assigned me a new IP address, as I cannot reach the cameras. How can I find out what my present IP address is? Is this something TWC will simply tell me if I call them? Once I have it, now that I know that Nest functionality is gone, I'll use a DSN service going forward.
9 REPLIES
Rookie

Re: How to determine your home's IP address remotely

Sorry -- I am in NY. So I can't just drive over and interrogate my router! Lol
Expert

Not unless that remote system calls /checks in to a monitoring site that you can contact.

You're going to need to call TWC.Tier 3 should be able to give you the info. You can also try having them reset the modem, perhaps it's hosed up. Does your account show it online and "green"?

Rookie

Yes everything is online because I can access my Nest thermostat and its "phoning home" regularly. I'm pretty sure it's just a case of dynamically changed IP. The Nest doesn't care -- it's always sending out, so Nest corporate or wherever "home" is always knows it's address. But that's how I'm sure everything is OK down there. If it wasn't I would be getting an offline response when I open the Nest app. It's my fault for not subscribing to dyndns.org.
Expert

Don't you have a menu with a log where the sending IP came from?

Helper

Go to Google type in what is my ip.   It will tell you. You are set to go, by the way contactin de vice to device behind a router or locally you use the 198.... addresses.

Highlighted
Expert

@jhf5 wrote:

Go to Google type in what is my ip.   It will tell you. You are set to go, by the way contactin de vice to device behind a router or locally you use the 198.... addresses.

Read the OP's post, It's at a vacation home 2 states away.....

Helper

oh

Rookie

Thank you all for the responses. Time warner phone support gave me an IP address after a bunch of prodding but it turned out to be completely wrong, so I don't know what to say about that. My final solution was to have my neighbor go over and I walked her through the menus on my Nest thermostat until she located the IPv4 IP address there. I tried it and voila! Then I immediately set it up with a DNS service so that should be that.
Expert

Was the IP prefix the same and just the last 3 digits different?