Rookie

Hitron E31N2V1 & older routers connectivity issue.

I have having issues connecting a older  Linksys WRT54G router to this Hitron E31N2V1 modem.

When connected I do not get any connectivity.  Can't do anything.  I have factory reset the router.  These routers worked fine with my old fios service.  Is this becasue the speed is 400Mps?
If it is simply becasue the router is old, what is a good one that I should replace it with?

The router that Spectrum provided will not let me access a DMZ / port 80 internal address for my video cameras.  I hope another router will let me.

3 REPLIES 3
Proven Sharer

Re: Hitron E31N2V1 & older routers connectivity issue.

The ethernet ports on the WRT54G are only capable of 10 or 100 Mbps.  Its internal WiFi is 802.11G with a maximum of 54 Mbps over the air. 

You haven't mentioned what model router Spectrum provided you, nor the model of your video cameras or server.

Rookie

the video camera is irrelvant, as I can't access my sprinkler controller either.  Both are setup to be accessed on port 80 on a special web page.  I can access internally but not externally directly from the iP address.  I can't forward port 80. 

Yes I know the details of the old router and was asking for recommendations for a new model to purchase that will work properly with the modem.

I also have to say that It will not respond to a ping.  Although the access controls / firewall settings -> respond to ping is on.

Spectrum provided RAC2V15 Sagemcom.  I have set up port forwarding and it just does forward the port.

Newcomer

Just a word for the wise. You shouldn't expose port 80 to the Internet unless you are really sure about what you are doing. Devices like cameras and DVRs tend to lose software support rather quickly, and they will get hacked someday if you port forward to them. Typically, the best solution is to use something with a little more security, like a router that can provide a VPN connection back into your home network for your phone/laptop to connect through. Spectrum's routers won't support this, but other routers especially those made by ASUS can do this.

As for your WRT54G, that router is quite old. You'd be best getting something with Wireless AC support and with Gigabit Ethernet ports, so you can get what you actually pay for. The Spectrum routers are decent, just note that it'll add a $5/m fee to your bill if you want to use it.