Highlighted
Rookie

High ping / slow speeds during peak hours (7pm - 1am) - Manhattan

Hi there. About 3 months ago we started having ping around 200 - 400 milliseconds, and noticably slower load times for videos and webpages. This only occurs from about 7pm - 1am every single night. Other threads on the same topic say that it's been a hardware issue at the street pole, or the apartment level node. I was wondering if you'd mind sending someone to check things out at   W 163rd St in Manhattan. Thanks much!

8 REPLIES 8
Expert

Re: High ping / slow speeds during peak hours (7pm - 1am) - Manhattan

This is peer to peer support, you need to contact TWC direct for a service call..

But in the meantime, can you copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages? Don't reset it, need to see history, something may be obvious.

Rookie

Hi Raye. Thanks for clarifying. I compiled that info into a Google Doc.

Contents:

- Signal levels
- Pings

- Traceroutes

- Error log

The only error log I could find was the firewall log, which doesn't strike me to be correct.

The first few traceroutes are ugly, so I duplicated them in command prompt.

Thanks for your time glancing things over Smiley Happy

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V_GvH25w4TlApDOP84ecjNbrluRq3_ZNUn4OBComKNc/edit?usp=sharing

Expert

Turn off IPv6 on all devices, see if that helps. TWC has issues with IPv4 & IPv6 data mixes..

Next, i'm seeing a cloud/sync,device running and eating up bandwidth causing the +200's in the tracert's

It's some device in your house or in the computer you ran the tracert's on.

Rookie

The cloud/sync could be Google Drive. Exiting it hasn't solved the issue in the past. Also, syncing shouldn't be more active from 7pm - 1am should it?

I'll disable IPv6. Thanks a ton for the leads Smiley Happy

Expert

Sync will be worst during prime time...

It has to be off when you're gaming

Rookie

Syncing and IPv6 are both still enabled. Three nights ago TWC killed service from 1:30am - 4:30am and we've had lower ping than ever, even throughout prime time, since then.

This was an issue that started out of the blue 4 months ago, and seems to have now ended out of the blue. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind if the problem recurs.

Spectrum Employee

Scheduled maintenance is normally done in the early AM hours, when traffic is at the lowest.

Perhaps that's what was going on?

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Expert

Repaste the signal level and a couple tracert's to google & riot