Not applicable

High Uncorrectables

I recently switched Spectrum internet. I've noticed that the speed is never quite up to the 400Mbps subscription but normally >100 so I don't really mind. I've checked signal levels and everything appears to be good (to the best of my knowledge) and errors have been low. Until tonight when we started having issues with streaming. I checked the modem and noticed uncorrectables in the tens of thousands across all downstream channels. Is there anything I should check? I work in telecommunications but I'm not sure there's really anything I can do. We have a new drop, ground block is grounded properly, only inside wire is ~30 ft tri-shielded rg6 with solid copper conductor. Is it even worth contacting Spectrum to investigate or are they just gonna be chasing an intermittent ghost?

Screenshot_20190414-213743_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Helper

Re: High Uncorrectables

I would check all the connections to make sure none are loose everywhere from the modem back as far as you have access. Check behind all the wall plates too. It's also possible there is water getting in the cable...possibly at the pedestal or other point just outside your house. 

If all seems good and you are still having connection problems, a service call is defintely the way to go. It can be hard to track down intermittent problems though so it may take more than one tech visit.

Proven Sharer

Re: High Uncorrectables

Your uncorrectables problem is on the downstream side, coming from Spectrum into your modem, and is probably affecting several other internet customers in your neighborhood.  It is DEFINITELY worth making the call to Spectrum, since their techs can read everyone's modem's signal level and error data to get a better idea where the ingress (outside signal leakage INTO the cable) is happening. That makes the repair cycle go a lot faster. 

Also if you know of any places where trees have fallen across wires, or if a vehicle ran into a phone pole or pedestal, pass those details to the first tech responding to your complaint.  Spectrum usually does not receive that information from your local public safety agencies unless their cable is down blocking traffic.