Observer

High Ping Spikes

Just got off the phone with internet support and they are claiming they can't escalate to a higher level tech, and could only roll a technician out, but that's going to be a waste of their time, so wanted to see if anyone here could help. 

We're experiencing intermittent high ping spikes, going up from a normal 19-22 ms up to around 1900 ms.  It lasts anywhere from 10-30 seconds, then back to normal.  I've been running a Ping Plotter scan and looks like the culprit is a device named ae63.powloh0201h.midwest.rr.com. 

Any idea what the best route to take to get this issue looked into?

8 REPLIES 8
Lead Moderator

Re: High Ping Spikes

Have you had technicians out previously/recently for a check?

Are you seeing the ping issue on multiple servers? 

If you will post some of your results and more information about the issue that may be helpful.

Regards,

Julia

Social Media Customer Service-Lead Moderator

Observer

I have not had a technician out previously.  It looks like the issue is downstream from my connection point, which is why I think having someone physically come to my location isn't going to be helpful.  I've attached a screenshot of Ping Plotter which shows the ae63.powloh0201h.midwest.rr.com device is the slowdown in the traceroute to Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS server. 

2019-09-22_19-41-12.png

Lead Moderator

Are you seeing this at other servers? 

If you can run a few tracerts from your command prompt to different places we can take a look at that, see if it is a problem on our network or after it passes.

If you will do several sites that you normally use that would be helpful.

Regards,

Julia

Social Media Customer Service-Lead Moderator

Observer

It is to other servers as well, such as 1.1.1.1.  I don't have the traces to those servers screenshotted, but it was the same device causing the slow down there as well.  I'll try to get a graph of that connection this evening. 

Proven Sharer

Instead of using DNS servers that are located in various places across the USA, you can (and should) use the DNS server boxes hosted by Spectrum, located at 209.18.47.61 and 62.  These are the ONLY DNS servers located INSIDE Spectrum's internet transport network and they are not subject to excess ping delays caused by overloads at contracted IXP providers. They receive the same daily updates as all other registered DNS servers. 

Observer

DNS isn't really the issue here though.  It's the lag experienced by my kids in online gaming sessions.  I'm just using the 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 servers as tests because they are easy to remember and test against. 

Observer

Ping Plotter to Spectrum DNS server. 2019-09-23_17-11-43.png

and from the second Spectrum DNS server:

2019-09-23_18-23-00.png

Sharer

It is possible there could be some localized QoS issues. Noticed on at least one of them there was a massive spike right on the other side of the CPE. If your modem's logs are showing signs of high error rates, it could be at least partially due to poor line conditions.

So, it may be worth having someone come on site anyway just to rule that out. They can also run a few ping/trace paths while there to see if they spot anything amiss upstream along a given route, and then file for escalation if they find anything actionable.