Observer

Re: High Latency Issues

Turning off these things is not an option.  They aren't the issues and it's silly to assume they are.  They don't present an issue at any other times, take up such little bandwidth (if any at all), and are in some cases necessary to play at all (origin and steam, for example, are required to be on when playing games from their respective catalogs).

I'm using a Netgear CM600 (24x8) that i've been experiencing latency issues with the last 8 days in a row. Between the hours of 8:30pm EST- 12:00pm EST my latency and available bandwidth will become horrible. Any time before or after those hours it works fine; a super speedy connection (330-360Mbits/down) and really responsive latency times for gaming (sub 20ms pings for local NY servers).

I've done the majority of troubleshooting I can with TWC over the phone. A tech came out to location and checked lines, signals, etc and all seemed good. He came out during hours where it was working fine as well. Anything during the aforementioned window of time however is 300-400ms pings and bandwidth goes down to 5-20Mbps down and 2-4Mbps (i'm on the MAXX 300 here in NYC, Queens).

I do notice that my modem is locked to ipv6 though. How do I force the modem to pickup an ipv4 address instead? That's one thing I haven't tried yet, and would like to see if it helps.

Expert

The provisioning done by TWC is set for IPv6..

If you do a tracert to google.com, does it display IPv4 or IPv6 addresses, If the later, go into your computers network setup wizard and set it to IPv4 only to see if that speeds things up

This is what i'm seeing right now, as the issue is occuring.

I'll include as well a quick speed test and snips of my modem stats page.

This is with their 300/20.

Expert

I think somethings wrong on your end. What device do you have running when you did the tracert?

Looks good from here!

Tracing route to 142.254.165.157 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms DD-WRT [192.168.6.6]
2 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
3 18 ms 9 ms 9 ms 142.254.157.117
4 28 ms 21 ms 19 ms 24.164.114.189
5 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms be20.clhgohcc01r.midwest.rr.com [24.33.103.58]
6 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms be14.clevohek02r.midwest.rr.com [65.29.1.98]
7 14 ms 11 ms 12 ms be25.clevohek01r.midwest.rr.com [65.29.1.32]
8 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms bu-ether47.vinnva0510w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [107.14.19.38]
9 26 ms 31 ms 31 ms bu-ether12.nwrknjmd67w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.29]
10 27 ms 27 ms 24 ms agg2.nyclnyrg01r.nyc.rr.com [107.14.19.25]
11 25 ms 26 ms 25 ms agg1.wdsdny0201h.nyc.rr.com [68.173.198.89]
12 26 ms 25 ms 26 ms 142.254.165.157

Trace complete.

What do you mean by device? The modem is a Netgear CM600 going through a Netgear R6400 router. I have 2 iphones, 2 ipads, an airport express, and an apple tv connected to the router. But the latency and low bandwith are things TWC customer support can see directly from the modem itself when it ping it. The same devices are online and working in the same way the other 20 hours of the day where the service is fine. It's just from 8:30pm-12pm midnight that everything goes poop. I'll be able to post another set of images in about 20 minutes and you'll see.

edit:  adding images from post midnight preformance results

These are the results after merely waiting until midnight comes. I haven't reset the modem or the router. I haven't flushed caches or changed any setting. I simply retest everything when the clock rings 12 or after and it's good. Everything is fine until 8:30pm tomorrow night, and then the same thing happens for another 3 1/2 hours.

What do you guys wager I try next? Should I get another modem? It's hard to believe it's a bad modem if it works for 20 hours and doesn't for 4. Failing the same time every night for the last 10 days. TWC denies service issues. But I keep calling them back every 2 days, during the time it's messing up, they see the same issues and log it. I've been getting credits back to my account as well, but honestly I'd just like it working, lol.

Any ideas?

Expert

What is the airport express doing?

Do you have the correct time zones set?

What routers are nat, what are bridged?

the airport express is in client mode, simply connected to my router for the sole purpose of streaming audio from my phone to speakers that are connected to the express. I usually will only use the audio streaming later in the 'AM' as white noise to sleep. I'll check time zones when I get back home tonight after work. I do know the time on the cable modem is off an hour. it's central. I'm guessing I don't have any control over this though. seems like TWC controls that "system time" variable. the R6400 is NAT, the express is simply connected to the R6400 in client mode (I guess that's bridged?) I'll have to see if NAT is enabled on the airport express. nothing ever connects to it though. I also have a Verizon 3G network extender that acts for my service in my home. otherwise I cannot get service on my phone.

I have however disconnected power from all these devices at the affected times, and only left the cable modem and router connected and powered on. I then powered on a separate laptop I had a friend bring over. put it in safe mode with networking and ran tests from that system, which still showed the performance impacted.
Expert

Uhh, if the airport is in client mode it must be connected to a terminal devices ethernet input port and not a routers lan output port...

I think you want it set as an Access point.

Unless I'm interpretting this wrong...