Not applicable

High Correctables/Uncorrectables + IPv6 Drops About Once a Week + Serious Lag

Hello,

Every 5-7 days or so, my router loses its ipv6 address (according to the »test-ipv6.com site). Around the same time, I start seeing a lot more correctables/uncorrectables on Channel 8, with all other channels remaining at 0/0 (no errors).

I'm not sure if these two things are connected, but they both happen at least once a week. It takes 2-4 days at least after a reset to start seeing errors again.

As far as actual usability symptoms, I start seeing a lot of lag when browsing the web. At first I thought I had some sort of DNS lookup problem.
The other major symptom is that YouTube starts skipping and stuttering, and no longer defaults to 1080p HD (usually it ends up between 360p/720p depending on what the video has available).

The YouTube thing is less of a serious problem than it is an indicator I need to reboot the router.

Today, I had to reboot the router twice in a row to get the v6 IP back.

I have attached a couple of time-stamped screen caps of the status screen from the Charter box.

As far as outside interference, I do not believe it's anyone's cell phone in my apartment. Cell phone use patterns are pretty much the same every day (a combination of wifi calling/data and 4G on AT&T Wireless), and it takes 2-4 days before any issues start. And even then, after I start seeing errors, they stay very low for a day or two before they balloon and I have to reboot the router.

I originally signed up for cable TV service with set top boxes, but cancelled that service. I think there might be splitters in my apartment, but I'm not sure. The only service I still have is internet, so I only need the one cable running from ... Wherever it comes into my apartment ... To the wall jack, to the cable modem.

Here is a screenshot of the status page: Sowo7fm

7 REPLIES 7
Helper

Re: High Correctables/Uncorrectables + IPv6 Drops About Once a Week + Serious Lag

To me that looks like cellular ingress. The signals look good otherwise.

Being an apartment building, finding the problem may be difficult if not impossible. You mention the possibility of having multiple splitters...I would trace the coax all the way from the modem to the wall jack where service enters your apartment for any splitters. If you only have internet there should be none. If there are splitters you can probably remove them. If all of the wiring is inside the walls then you are out of luck on that front, leaving your best course of action to be to terminate all unused coax connectors on all the wall plates in the apartment.  Unused connections can act as antenna. Something like this:

Coax F-Type 75 Ohm Terminator

Not applicable

Re: High Correctables/Uncorrectables + IPv6 Drops About Once a Week + Serious Lag

Thanks! I just picked up a pack of those. I'll go on a splitter hunt when they get here. I know there are two unused coax outlets I need to terminate, as well.

(Sidenote: why did anyone ever think it was a good idea to put a coax cable in a kitchen next to a stove? It's an electric stove, but even then, that just screams fire hazard...)

I almost wouldn't worry about this at all--the modem comes back up in less than 2 minutes after a reset--but my roommates are not tech savy enough to do that easily, and i'm not always here. They do notice the lag and intability when it gets bad enough, and don't know how to fix it without me. 

Helper

(Sidenote: why did anyone ever think it was a good idea to put a coax cable in a kitchen next to a stove? It's an electric stove, but even then, that just screams fire hazard...)

People gotta watch tv while they're cooking Robot Happy 

Coax isn't really much of a fire hazard so you are fine on that front. Being an apartment anything beyond your unit is likely inaccessible, including the control room. I bet there's several unused and unterminated runs in there that just adds to the signal problems people in apartments face.

Not applicable

I actually feel like I'm pretty lucky that the signal is as good and stable as it is (it seems really solid overall, actually, according to what I've read), and that the only issue is on Channel 8.

If the terminators don't fix the problem, I'll just get in the habit of rebooting the modem every night. It takes more than 24 hours to start seeing errors.

Any idea how to access the log page for a Ubee when it's in bridge mode?

Helper

If you can't access the logs from the same menu where the signal levels page is located then it's likely disabled by Spectrum.

Proven Sharer

On that specific channnel I would be suspicious that AT&T has installed a micro-cell in the neighborhood and there's either a loose cable fitting or an amp housing on the same pole or very near the new equipment.  5G isn't so great when cable ingress results, causing the data errors. 

Not applicable

UPDATE:

Hello,

I ordered a pack of 75 Ohm F-Type terminators, and decided to try them yesterday. I have two unused coax jacks in the walls (as far as I can see). I terminated one of them, and restarted the modem. (I wanted to see what happened with one before I did both.)

It actually took a little bit to come back up, and the DS/US lights flashed oddly before locking in: one after another in sequence, repeating for a few minutes. I think it might have been doing a firmware update, but I didn't think to check the firmware version before I restarted.

I have attached the results after everything got up and running again.

1. SNR looks about the same. The numbers fluctuated a little on some channels, but overall still in the 40-42 range.
  2. I do notice that the power reading on every channel has dropped slightly. I'm not sure if that's from restarting the device or the terminator. What is an acceptable range per channel?

If the terminators make the channels lose power, should I terminate the other outlet? The other outlet is strange. It's got some sort of adapter on it that ends in a male-type connector (with the little pointy wire inside that's normally on the cable). I can't get at it easily enough to get it off at the moment...

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 5.06.21 PM.png