Expert

Re: Help: Upgraded to spectrum 60/5 but same speed & shows modem not connected

@Kook wrote:
TWC speedtest and speedtest.net both show around 35.44 Mbps down, 6.11 Mbps up. Both owned by Ookla so it's the same thing.

Same speed I had from the 30/5 plan.

I am seeing widly different speeds between the two. What I'm telling you is that they are NOT the same thing. "owned by OOKLA" means nothing, that's the software company not where the sites are or how they're routed,  I'm wondering if spectrum routing is different

Are you using the speedtest site in Austin Texas? it should be where the "take a speedtest" on the twc link routes you.

Can you take a speedtest at this site?

https://www.charter.com/browse/content/internet#/speedtest-tab

Valued Participant

No I always let it pick the closest sites, which is in town @ Wichita Falls. I've been gaming for so long and would know the difference from different test sites with the further ones being more hops away if you do a tracer route and latency issues with ping testing.

That said, I did get private response from TWC detailing my area has 30/5 and 100/5 pricing plans only while certain areas have 60/5 and 100/5. Those cities that already upgraded previously under TWC have 100/10 and 300/20 available. The speeds will eventually be standardized as the merger continues, but confirmed my exact location options are 30/5 and 100/5.

That explains why my co-worker who previously had the 50/5 plan said his speeds had almost doubled. So he's automatically getting 100/5 now instead of 50/5.

Basically Wichita Falls before merger was 30/5 and 50/5 which I knew. After merger it went to 30/5 and 100/5. There is no 60/5 as the confusion going on and why half the CSR telling me highest I can get is 30Mbps. I CAN get 100/5 pricing plan if I chose to.

Just lot of misinformation going on internally with TWC and this private message basically broke it down and makes sense.

This is why the advertisements say *Up to 60 Mbps and why under Services it doesn't tell me the speed and just says "Spectrum Internet". They haven't standardized every location yet as the merger is new and every city different.
Expert

ok, the closest site is not the correct site to run speedtests from.

TWC does no local exits, the rout to a different isp may take 2o hops thru several states and is not accurate as it's being throttled by the backbone. The correct test is to TWC austin which is closer than witchita hop wise

the only site there is by Pinnacle, not twc.

If you got a lower price than twc for 30/5, quit complaining, they are supposed to be charging you $60 a month for 60/6.

Since your area offers 100/5  you also caught them in another lie... Again, Lines have nothing to do with not being able to give you 60/6 or 50/5 for that matter.

I've spent enough time trying to research this, good luck....

Valued Participant

I won't complain if they didn't tell me the wrong speeds. They were trying to charge me $59.99 on my bill... I called to get a new promotion added and bargained me under new customer pricing.

So I would've been paying $59.99 for 30/5 if I didn't bargain. That's not the point still,it's being told misinformation on 60 Mbps.
Sharer

You have your documentation (calls, dates, who said what) exhausting trying to work with TWC on this.  Time to go outside TWC: open a complaint with the BBB and FCC and whoever else takes complaints.  Then take that information to TWC to give them "one more chance" to rectify the problem.

Their finger-pointing defense won't work (that's billing--that's tech--ask your mom--ask your dad); at this point, this is "bad faith" (legal term) and "up to 60 Mbps" doesn't cover this--especially since you have documentation of their telling you "the lines" can't deliver that.  I cannot sell you 60 gallons of water knowing that I cannot possibly deliver more than 35.

Unless you're someone's thorn, nobody will care to help you since that would be bad for their "eliminate truck rolls" and "calls-per-hour" metrics and it's all about the metrics.  Monopolies can do that.

Expert

Nothing to do with "lines" .. if they can give you 100/5, 60/6 will work as well  as long as there's 8 or more downstream channels

Highlighted
Valued Participant

Got the resolution finally.

Manager (Orlando) from Customer Solutions did call me and originally was going to send a tech out since I'm supposed to be getting 60 Mbps according to his system. I shared with him on all the techs I spoke to and these forums and being told my city does 30 and 100 Mbps only. He asked and did get a response to confirm that.

Eventually after a lengthy call and not accepting other proposed resolutions to close this ticket out, the resolution was to have me put on the 100 Mbps plan at no extra charge as I didn't want to accept higher costs when I agreed to 60 Mbps when they didn't know 30 Mbps was the highest.

I tested and am now getting 118 Mbps down speeds. So much for majority of the techs telling me my city only offers 30 Mbps.

Thanks everyone for your help and hope the information posted in the system for Spectrum/TWC in Wichita Falls, TX gets updated properly and not mislead others telling them 60 Mbps when it's actually 30 Mbps. Hopefully their transition goes smoother.

Expert

Sounds like they have a computer glitch and can't send provisioning of 50/5 or 60/6 speed to your node (and maybe only COAM modems). Very typical, we've found specific modems on the COAM approved/certified list that they wouldn't activate on a node yet on other nodes in the same head end,  there's hundreds running.

A lot of 50/5 customers see data rates around 58/ 6 and that would be acceptable for 60/6 service.

Hopefully you maintain that rate at that price, check your bill and the speed monthly...Woman Frustrated

Valued Participant

Well looked at my bill today and it was $52 higher. So much for not adding extra cost. The reps I spoke to today even said there wasn't any notes entered by him regarding the conversation. Just sounds like another method of increasing he plan to look good and trying to close the ticket out. Several times during the conversation he was just concerned with asking if he can close the ticket out.

If you Google Orlando TWC retention manager @ 310-417-4304, you see others mention not getting results from him. Called his number back and just voicemail from this morning along with talking with Customer Solutions again and having another escalation.

Think I'll just have to revert back to the other plan to avoid the erroneous extra daily charges.

Talk about headaches.

Helper

Yet another reason to go to the store near you rather than deal with the agents on the phone.  I work for a major company and trust me, all Escalations cares about is closing the ticket, not actual results.