Highlighted
Newcomer

Have Spectrum/Time Warner modem requirements changed?

I'm in the cincinnati area and since the big speed upgrade I was able to reach speeds of over 200 mbps on my current modem.  However starting last week my speeds are limited to less than 100 mbps.  I believe the reason is because my modem only has 8 downstream channels but I can't get a straight answer out of their support agents. Have they recently changed the requirements so that you have to use a 16 channel modem in order to reach 200 mbps speeds? Their support agents always get confused and think I'm talking about TV channels or that I'm accusing them of throttling my internet.  I just need to know if upgrading my modem will fix my speed issues which means I need to know why my current modem no longer gives the speeds that it used to.

6 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Have Spectrum/Time Warner modem requirements changed?

I was able to locate your account based on your registration information.   The modem you are currently using is only approved on our network for speeds up to 100Mbps.  To get increased speeds you would need to upgrade the modem.  I have provided a list of Approved Modems for your reference.  

Sharer

As lines come under heavier loads, theoretical available throughput "per channel" diminishes. Not only can we not rely on theoretical speeds equivalent to around 38mbps per channel, but even 15-20mbps per channel is questionable at best in most lighter weight markets. In heavier markets, it seems to be more along the line of around 8 or 9mbps per channel... a bit less during peak times. Even with 16 channels sustainable throughput over time may still dip a bit below 100 in times of peak usage in some areas... but even during those moments it should still be north of 60 (unless there are issues at the peering level or further out).
Browser

where is the list for the 200mbps tier?

Sharer

Pretty much the 300 meg tier.

Your options go on the order of 8's...
8, 16, 24, 32.
Proven Sharer

Also remember that your entire home LAN network, including the router, network switch,  and all of your various computing devices ALSO have to be equipped with Gigabit wired ethernet adaptors, which is the next step up after 100 Mbps.  Or you can rely on WiFi which migrates upwards in smaller steps, but is far less reliable than wired connections. 

Proven Sharer

However, buying a 32 channel modem won't increase your maximum download speed unless and until Spectrum fully builds out their internet cable network to 32 DS channels across your area.  And they will still only utilize FOUR uplink channels (not 8) regardless of the download speed of your internet plan.  Save yourself some cash - a 32 x 8 channel DOCSIS 3.1 modem is NOT going to become the new minmum standard in 2020.