Rookie

Has Spectrum disabled my MOCA???

Spectrum has recently taken over our cable and internet service from Time Warner.  Now my MOCA doesn't work and the ethernet ports from the modem are disabled! What is going on here?

20 REPLIES 20
Expert

Re: Has Spectrum disabled my MOCA???

Is this a leased modem?

If so, Moca is not allowed

Rookie

It is a leased modem, originally leased through Time Warner Cable (now Spectrum) If this is true, and the ethernet ports are now disabled, then this is a downgrade in service. I was not notified of this downgrade, on the contrary, when Spectrum took over our service we were assured that there would be no change in our service. This is a serious downgrade, if I want to have my MOCA and ethernet ports reactivated i must sign up for Spectrum wireless service at an additional charge, I neither need nor want this additional service from Spectrum, I own my own routers and Moca equipment and I am very pleased with them. Is this a violation of their terms of service, if so, what remedies do I have to restore my service?

Lead Moderator

If you are having issues with the service/modem please contact us directly.

The Ethernet ports should not be deactivated. We do not support moca,

TWC also did not support this in our modems. 

You are not required to switch to a Spectrum plan and are also not required

to use our wireless on either the Legacy TWC plans or the new Spectrum plans.

That is an add on service. If you have switched to a Spectrum plan you can not switch back. That being said the Ethernet port on the modem should be active.  

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

Thank you for your reply, Julia, but I am still a little confused.  I have contacted Spectrum directly about this issue, but I could not get it resolved. There are 4 ethernet connections on my modem, 3 of them have been disabled, when I spoke with technical support they said it was because I did not subscribe to your wireless add-on plan, which I do not need.  When I asked if they could re-activate them they said they could not without the wireless code. I have been running my MOCA extenders from one of these ethernet ports for several years without a hitch and now it doesn't work.  Can you please clarify this for me. Thank you

Expert

If you have only one port working, it is port 1 and you had them put the all in one into bridged mode to use your own router.

MOCA will never work in bridged mode. You would need a properly installed splitter and filter system to distribute MOCA from wired connection between your router and a seperate moca adapter

Spectrum Employee

If 1 ethernet port is working, and the others are disabled, you are in bridge mode, which means 1 IP, which means 1 connection/port. That connection would then be going to an additional router, which would handle all your IP assignments and additional connections. If you wish to use the additional ports on the modem/router combo, you would need to turn off Bridge mode, and make sure your modem/router and your separate router are not using the same IP subsets, otherwise you will get IP conflicts. If your router uses 192.168.0.xx, just set the router to start at 192.168.0.100. If it uses 192.168.1.xx then you don't need to make any changes. But again, thats only if you decide to take it out of bridge mode.

And to clarify, TWC/Spectrum does not SUPPORT MOCA, but that does not mean you cannot use it, we just cannot assist you with MOCA connections, and our troubleshooting teams would ask you to disable those if you have issues with connectivity.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Expert

I believe MOCA looks like a lan port and if the all in one  modem routercombo is put into the single ethernet port mode by bridging, the moca would then be disabled. Otherwise the CMTS at the head end would have to assign numerous static IP's, one for each device...

Bet it had NAT turned on and customer had double nat, which might not be an issue provided devices don't need to talk to one another.

Rookie

Good afternoon,

I recently had Spectrum installed in my house. It seems like a good deal and I was saving money and frustration from a competitor, a name I won't mention because I don't think Frontier would like that too much. 

MoCA technology seems simple and I have used my extended for wireless without any problems for years. Once Spectrum did their install now MoCA is disabled on my Arris TG1672G device I recevied from them. I called support and their technician doesn't know about it and explains they do not offer this service. It seems like a far cry from a service since all the 'magic' happens in my house.

I don't seem to have an issue with the LAN ports on my device, all work for my desktop and XBox just fine. 

When logging into the router I don't have the option to enable MoCA. This is rather disappointing and prohibits me from using wireless in other areas of my residence. Some posts on the web have shared that they do have MoCA enabled for their TWC server, but I can't find anything that helps me do this. I assume all of my filters are still in place since the coax cables used are the same from my previous service. I think Spectrum is playing opossum on this. But why?

Expert

IS this a repeat of the OP's post?

MOCA IS NOT AVAILABLE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A WHOLE HOUSE DVR.

TWC/ SPECTRUM DOES NOT OFFER OR ALLOW IT.

MOCA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WIRELESS.

IF YOU HAD DIRECT TV OR DISH, THEY DO NOT USE REAL MOCA, IT'S AT 1/3 THE FREQUENCY AND IS NOT COMPATABLE.

Whose service did you have that these devices connected to?

You need proper moca blocking filters before the modem and before the outside line, they must be marked 1 gHz low pass.

You can take an ethernet to moca  converter, plug it into one of the lan ports on the router and it will send moca thru coax, provided it's all wired right.

Sorry but it's not a job for beginners. Severe interference will occur if it's wrong.