Not applicable

Gigabit speed

First off i am currectly useing my own modem the Arris SB8200 even though the have installed there modem with the only marking on it is the model number E31T2v1. Im using my modem for the fact that i can log into mine to see problems with the connection. Ever sense i ordered the gigabit connction i have never seen the 980 mbps that they claim. The best i get is 600 and thats at midnight or later with there modem or mine. I ve had numerous techs to my Apartment with just a " well it is new technology and it takes time" answer to the problem of connectivity and slow speeds. I even show the web gui login router screen of my router showing the corrected and uncorrectable errors that i am recieving. Again the answer  from the tech of "I dont know what that is". Need help and getting very tired of calling

attached is the screen of the errorsScreenshot (3).png 

10 REPLIES 10
Helper

Re: Gigabit speed

Upstream?

Apartment buildings are notorious for having old damaged cable, lots of splitters and amps, loose connections, etc.

Not applicable

i get a solid 42 to 45 up

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

There's a HUGE difference between 45 up at 35 MHz and Gigabit down above 800 MHz on a shared coax cable system.  Right now Spectrum has not approved any customer provided modems for Gigabit service, so don't expect much help from them if you've replaced their modem with your own personal preference. 

Participant

I personally don't have GIG service, although it is available here, but within the last year or so I was getting alot of errors like you when I looked at my signals page. Finally when a tech came out to exchange out a modem that just died, he also checked the line and said he found an old filter of some kind on/in the connection which he removed. I really haven't had very many line errors like you since the removal of that filter thingie. 

Not applicable

They're looking for your upstream signal levels as well. Given your upstream is on the money bandwidth wise, there's probably not much of an issue there.

As a Gig customer, I, too, see a slowdown at night on the cable network. My node has around 300 modems on it. I haven't asked Spectrum how many Gigabit customers are on my node (I am probably the only one), but the congestion I've seen appears to be pointed more at the CMTS based on the usage charts I've seen Spectrum techs pull up. For a while I was seeing a steady 300-350Mbps on Gigabit that would take a week to return to Gigabit. These days, I'm averaging about 800Mbps at night. Improvements are going to take some time for sure.

Not applicable

Hey Julia_R Lead Moderator  Lets get one thing really clear you advertise gigabit speed of 940 Mbs. Im paying for 940Mbs. Im using spectrums modem. I still do not recieve 940Mbs. So basiclly its fraud.  Instead of commenting and helping out all you did is like someone post that didnt even read my post that im exchanging modems weekly and documenting the speeds and performace of the lines. And still not recieveing what you are advertiseing and what im paying for. Did i forget to mention paying for.  Thanks for caring its much appreciated. 

Lead Moderator

Exchanging modems will not correct the problem that you seem to have. 

If you are looking for direct support on this issue we would encourage you 

to contact our Social Media Customer Care team.

They can be reached at :

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Proven Sharer

@OlPainless65

In your very first posting you said "First off i am currectly useing my own modem the Arris SB8200 even though the have installed there modem with the only marking on it is the model number E31T2v1. Im using my modem for the fact that i can log into mine to see problems with the connection. Ever sense i ordered the gigabit connction i have never seen the 980 mbps that they claim." 

Those words conflict with what you are now telling @Julia_R,  that using Spectrum's modem you don't receive gigabit download speed.   It really helps to be consistent in your conversations here on the forums so that readers can respond with suggestions that could be helpful to you in defining, locating, and resolving your internet communications speed issue.   Julia and I are both saying that you have a line noise problem which will not be cured by simply swapping modems.  You did say that so far the techs that have visited your home don't know how to fix the issues they uncover.  THAT is a problem which Julia can escalate within the Spectrum field service group.

Not applicable

So very sorry i didnt make myself clear. I use my modem and the one supplied by spectrum. But i exchange them weekly so i can see if there is any improvement to the signal that i am receiving.  I exchange them for the basic reason that i can not access the interface of the spectrum supplied modem. As for performance my modem and the spectrum supplied one are identical to each other. I want someone that knows this gigabit system to fix the problem and no more i dont know or its a new system it takes time. I have posted my findings on numerous tech forums with many different answers but mainly all of them pointing to spectrums problem that should be fix