Browser

Re: Gig service issues climbing uncorrectables 45mins after modem is reset

So I understand Cm1000 isn’t recommended for the gig service connection was running flawlessly for 5-6 days decided to check on it.... and before my multiple power cycles I had 5000+ uncorrectables 2000 correctables but here is the log from last power cycle.

9E480B9C-305C-424C-8176-936DE428565A.png

974D6DB9-9F0A-4D59-9700-3693221AE6E3.jpegThere were x4 of the critical Mac sync timeout, x8 event type 24, x3 of type 16 also before reset there was event type 5 on Chan 11-17

30599796-4CCE-4CCC-BF9C-659F4263A44E.png

Also a new coaxial cable was ran from the drop to the cable modem, also the coaxial cable I noticed It feels bunched up aren’t they suppose to be smooth? Also there is a -12db forwardpath attenuator to reduce a hot signal coming into the house. 

Browser

Here’s link if you’d like to see it

For any  spectrum techs reading this I found this browsing around the internet this is taken from another post.   

FAILED_TO_RECEIVE_SYNC: T04.0 Failed to Receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period

Explanation The cable modem initially was able to acquire MAC framing but failed to receive the MAC SYNC frame within the timeout period. This error message is DOCSIS event message is T04.0, SYNC Timing Synchronization failure.

Recommended Action Check the RF plant for cabling and connector problems that could be generating noise on the downstream. If using a Cisco CMTS, you can use the show cable flap-list command to determine if other cable modems on the upstream are having problems. You can also use the show interfaces cable upstream command and examine the noise, microreflection, and uncorrectable error counters to determine the level of noise on the upstream.

Some modems (Motorola Surfboards especially) record every little thing in the log and users panic. I see the first one and T3 and T4 time out frequently and my connection is fine. What you need to do is watch your connection for awhile and if still seems to be lagging then you need to talk to tier 3 and ask the tech to run the show cable flap list command if they haven't already done it which they may have and haven't told you because 95% of the users would be mystified by this. This will show them if other modems near you are also having problems. If it looks that way, a good, experienced tech will probably then ping some of those modems, while they still have you on the phone, and if they see a problem then they will roll a truck as soon as possible. Some techs don't know to do this or just won't. I've had to call more than once, even to tier 3, and ask for one of the old timers by name. Several times, when the tech looked at the flap list and pinged other modems in the area sure enough just as I had said there was a problem that they were unaware of in my area until I reported it. A couple of other times though (this is over an almost 7 year period now), a tier 3 tech looked at the flap list without my even asking them to and told me everything was great and that my stats were so perfect that it was "scary

Browser

So none of your customer support wants to respond as to what the issue is because it’s clearly plant/cmts issues here and spectrum isn’t going to a thing about it.
Browser

31412F6C-6712-42C8-B343-5C8F85A83B49.jpegAlso if I’m reducing an incoming hot power signal why is cmts pushing my modem to increase the power signal? Which is done when time servers are modified

Proven Sharer

First, it's more likely that the helpful field techs from earlier times that you referenced (and other Spectrum employees) don't often log into the forums to read user postings, because they already know that the forums are peer-to-peer customer conversations, not related at all to Spectrum's Tech Support. 

Next, CMTS is telling your modem to increase its upstream power to make up for the loss inserted to get the downstream signal power back to the proper range of -8.5 to +10.0 dBmV.

And last, it's not necessary to redact the MAC IDs that appear in the status report entries.  They belong to the maintenance link between the CMTS and your modem, not related to the privacy or security of your data traffic payload.  All you did was make it more difficult to read the status text which describes the problems being detected by your modem.

Browser

The upstream power is not being increased it is the downstream side that is being increased unless there is a spike that is happening on the upstream side which is purely plant/cmts issues causing the fluctuations in my downstream power levels.
Sharer

@Asjb123 wrote:
So none of your customer support wants to respond as to what the issue is because it’s clearly plant/cmts issues here and spectrum isn’t going to a thing about it.

This is a peer to peer support forum... their techs don't come in here, just community managers that may be able to forward data to tech support, but mostly direct you to other contact methods (like social media accounts) that can facilitate escalation to other departments.

Basically, what you have here is a group of end users familiar with either the industy as a whole, or at least TWC/Spectrum's way of doing things that can provide insight into what may be going on and possibly some end-user workarounds and/or tactics for getting things addressed by Spectrum support.

Sharer

Actually, @karlbeckman is correct about the modem adjusting upstream power when directed by the headend to do so. The plant doesn't activelly adjust your downstream power on the fly, but it CAN direct the modem to increase upstream if the return signal quality is not up to par. Techs can adjust downstream levels along the route though... just may require escalation to a higher tier of support than the team they sent.

If the downstream level is too high at your demarc, they ideally would be adjusting gains (or something similar) upstream instead of trying to insert losses after the fact. Overboosting can worsen SNL, and then forcibly injecting losses on top of that will degrade it further.

The less headroom there is above the noise floor the more prone the line become to errors... you want to avoid intentionally injecting nore noise into the line.
Browser

32B8A510-D40F-4FB6-9D3D-2B1A693F21CB.pngThis is what I’m talking about with power signal being increased may 18th

8C75DB44-A7A0-4F57-A21A-22E5DC23BDE0.pngMay 18th

3E3B7F94-681E-4228-9960-890F60303A13.pngMay 1st

This is the increase I’m talking about and both these snapshots are with a -12db attenuator at the drop... guess what I’m trying to say is Why is the power signal getting increased at any given time when all signals to the house are perfect ?? There’s no splitters just ground block then attenuator and the line after that goes directly to modem. 

Proven Sharer

You are confusing the downstream and upstream power levels. The modem power levels are different for upstream (US) vs. downstream (DS).  As their names imply, the signals are travelling in different directions on the cable.  Your DS level could also be called modem receive and the US side is sometimes called modem transmit. When you inserrt a 12 dB loss to bring the DS (receive side) signals to an acceptable level, the modem must transmit 12 dB stronger to overcome the loss of that 12 dB pad.