Observer

Gig service issues climbing uncorrectables 45mins after modem is reset

So ive had a bunch of truck rolls and techs to the house they all say signals are good just wondering if this dip in the 500mhz area is normal? there has been no issues with the upstream just Cm status event type 16 And event type 24.

Screenshot (27).png

also the correctables have stopped after noticing my coaxial drop was not properly grounded and left with a wobbly bonded ground wire... but as i said earlier just wondering if that dip before the 500mhz is normalScreenshot (32).png

Screenshot (33).png

20 REPLIES 20
Observer

Re: Gig service issues climbing uncorrectables 45mins after modem is reset

CD62A207-2C91-479C-B8A4-F790B82B632D.png

So I am assuming that dip is not supposed to be there considering this is a factory reset log with 3 hours of up time 

Helper

Signals look good to me. Are you having any connections issues? A few corrected /uncorrected are normal and could be a natural part of the boot process. Several million is cause for concern.

Community Manager

@Asjb123 ,  

I'm seeing the logs are from a Netgear modem.  What is the modem make and model you are using?  

Observer

Netgear cm1000 and after fixing the ground issue there is only now 20 uncorrectables ofdm channel has been stable for 3 days. . But whatever tech installed the bond for my coax drop did it improperly which was causing static electricity in the foil shields to discharge on the modem causing the interference... it also explained why the techs could not figure out why I was having issues because their meter can only test center of the cable. . But so far gig service is working 100% now on cm1000
Community Manager

Thanks.  Currently, there are no customer owned modems that are approved on our network for Gig speeds.  The Netgear CM1000 is considered minimally qualified and speeds using this modem will not be guaranteed.   If the issue returns, we suggest using the Spectrum issued modem and you can manage the network using your own router.  

Observer

F3D70B6F-2B49-438A-A749-3BC4284B0653.png

As these are taken with QoS enabled on router a+ with bufferbloat. . And speedtests were taken via WiFi ..

Only reason I would never use your guys modem is you lock the user out of the modem UI so nothing can be checked and your staff is less than minimally trained to handle any situations... unless it’s taking money 

Proven Sharer

Usually a dip like that is caused by a premium channel filter that was installed way back in the old analog days and forgotten ever since.  It should be on the line tap where the pole drop ine heads toward your residence. 

Observer

Yeah I was just curious if it was normal but ofdm channel runs at 314mhz then the 24 channels start at 507mhz to 645mhz which I am assuming the ofdm uses for the channel bonding
Sharer

@karlbeckman wrote:

Usually a dip like that is caused by a premium channel filter that was installed way back in the old analog days and forgotten ever since.  It should be on the line tap where the pole drop ine heads toward your residence. 

Still find  lot of thkse notch filters in our market. Usually see the deep dips around 500mhz or lower (roughly the old broadcast channels 14-36).  Some will be decades old cylinders for HBO and such (no color bands), others will have a green band to choke out the upper channels for the internet only customers so they couldn't scan the QAM channels above 23 or so.

Really wish they could be more proactive about finding these things and removing them now that they have gone full digital.  Some of them are causing up to a 12db drop in the first octave of channels, ultimately rendering channels unusable on some lines, but the modems sometimes try to lock them anyway if there is trouble in the upper octaves.  End result is people have to routinely reboot their modem's because throughput tanks as the modem starts having fewer and fewer channels to work with.