Browser

Gig Plan Activation Question and Streaming

I was wondering if you still have to pay for the $199 activation fee for the gig plan, and if so is there a way to waive the fee?  Also, is there a combined discount for the gig service and the streaming plan.  Just trying to get it figured out.  What is the difference between the spectrum gig plan and the att fiber?  Is one more reliable or better than the other?  With the spectrum gig plan can I use my own modem?

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager

Re: Gig Plan Activation Question and Streaming

@flyncalpoly , 

Please contact sales directly at 1-855-70-SPECTRUM (855-707-7328) for current pricing.  Any installation fees are not able to be waived.  At this time, there are no customer owned modems approved for our network above 400Mbps.  I have included a link to the  Approved Modem Support Page

Highlighted
Helper

@flyncalpoly wrote:

I was wondering if you still have to pay for the $199 activation fee for the gig plan, and if so is there a way to waive the fee?  Also, is there a combined discount for the gig service and the streaming plan.  Just trying to get it figured out.  What is the difference between the spectrum gig plan and the att fiber?  Is one more reliable or better than the other?  With the spectrum gig plan can I use my own modem?

I will answer your questions about the differences between Spectrum Gig and ATT Fiber.

• Spectrum Gig is advertised as 940 Mbps down / 35 Mbps up. ATT Fiber is advertised as 1000 Mbps (shared between down and up). The advantage to ATT here is the potential for MUCH higher upstream speed... useful if you upload large data files but not so much if you are a normal download/streaming type of user.
  • ATT doesn't allow for customer owned modems at all. You may be able to workaround the gateway to use your own router though. Spectrum currently doesn't allow for customer owned modems on Gig but do allow on every other tier. I'm sure customer owned modems will be allowed on Gig soon. Spectrum allows the use of your own router on any tier.
  • Reliability for either service is only as good as the physical cabling user to deliver data. One isn't necessarily "more reliable"  than the other...both coax and fiber cable can be chewed by a squirrel equally Robot wink
Valued Participant

Observer

I have my own Modem + router running Spectrums gig plan, but for the first fee there is no way around it yet.