Not applicable

Re: Feedback: Hitron eMTA modem E31N2V1. Please allow access to cable signals.

Add me to the list of people who wants to be able to view the dignostic page for the modem. I suppose it's because Charter doesn't want people having access to things that could lead to people placing more support calls. But the type of people who even know about the modem diagnostics page are likely to be savvy enough to know what the numbers mean and understand acceptable thresholds and tolerances for the displayed parameters.

egk
Contributor

i wish someone from Spectrum would give an update on this issue.   

Rookie

Add me to the list....

TW said my line was showing noise, and initiated a ticket to replace the outside wiring and modem.  The old Ubee modem was  showing correctable errors:

Screenshot from 2019-01-03 12-52-57.png

...but seemed to be working fine.

Wondered how the signal had improved with the new wiring and Hitron modem, but unfortunately the signal stats are not available.  Please allow access to the modem signal status...

Valued Participant

Well, I’ve been experiencing issues with my 400/20. Tech was out here on Jan 1st and spent over two hours replacing 3 modems, troubleshooting WiFi routers, connecting to my laptop—slow download speeds, intermittent internet and modem losing 3.1 bonding.

It took 2-hours to lock the modem in and it only happened after he went outside and checked for ingress on the line?? The tech didn’t even know why it finally locked in??

Fast forward to today and same exact issues crop up again. Exact same symptoms I was experiencing before. When I call in, the tech tells me there are uncorrectables. Now they have to send another tech out tomorrow. If I had signal access, may have been able to help on first call and my service could have been fixed on the first call. Very frustrating.

egk
Contributor

Sorry to hear about your problems scjr.   It's the kind of thing I was worried about myself.   I've had a lot of line issues over the years.   It made it a lot easier to see what was going on when I could see the signal levels after TW techs told me what to look for.

It appears this is just another issue that will get ignored on these forums.   No word at all from anyone at Spectrum.

Highlighted
Valued Participant

Hi @egk,

The 2nd tech was here even longer and replaced the modem an additional 2-times. I kept calling tech support and telling them it had to be something outside. Tech checked and replaced everything at tap outside and once he reconnected, the modem locked in. Sound familiar? 

Believe me me when I tell you, every type of troubleshooting was done by me and repeated by both techs. After the tech left, I called tech support two more times and told them power outage was in area and maybe something in area was damaged? They escalated.

That same night, just after midnight, modem went completely offline for 15-20 minutes and once back online, 400/20 was back! Speeds were initially jumping around, so I power down the modem once and it’s been rock solid since. I know in this case, it would have been helpful to have access to signals. The trouble was intermittent, so when techs and tech support were looking at signals at the moment, they were good. If I could have monitored, I could have told them signals were changing.

Let me just say, techs were doing best they could and they were nice. So no issues there.

egk
Contributor

I'm surprised you didn't ask for one of the Ubee modems.   I think they still allow access to the signal levels on those?

Valued Participant

They had no Ubee’s on the truck. Just Hitron and the first tech had a Technicolor. Ended up with a Hitron again, which was fine before the issues started. Which we now know wasn’t a modem issue. :-)