Newcomer

Fair Warning (because we thought we'd try): Can't use customer modem on Gigabit (940/35) Plan

I just spent an over an hour getting sent back and forth between Billing and Internet Support. We added (and are currently using) the MAC address to a shiny new SB8200 to our account. All good on the signal side (including 32 channels bonding,) but they can't do a thing to change it - their system doesn't seem to accept the Arris/SB8200 prefix. 

Oh well, guess they're out the $200 activation fee they wanted! 

Might be common knowledge, but for those wondering - be aware!

5 REPLIES 5
Expert

Re: Fair Warning (because we thought we'd try): Can't use customer modem on Gigabit (940/35) Plan

ARRIS SURFboard DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem: Up to 10 Gbps downstream and up to 1 Gbps upstream network capacity; approved for use on COX Cable and Comcast only....

The only approved modem is the Technicolor 4400  and it's unknown  if it's really running on a 192 mhz ortho qam channel... you can get 1 gig on 32 qam channels

Why aren't you using theirs in bridged mode? it's free...

What speed do you get?

s/b 300/20

Newcomer

Re: Fair Warning (because we thought we'd try): Can't use customer modem on Gigabit (940/35) Plan

I'm saying that support can't even change the provisioning on the account unless it is their modem (which ever one it is, looks like a TC4400, but the support person I spoke to didn't seem to know which one they wanted to give us.) The limit is an arbitrary one, not a technical one. This is more or less an FYI, not really a complaint/assistance request; though, it is quite frustrating in regards to how arbitrary it is.

edit: oh, forgot to mention, we speed test 350-360/19-22 depending on the site. 

Expert

What speed do you get?

Expert

ok, 300/20 with it looks like 20% overprovisioning... It should be fast enough for a handfull of devices, but you need a quality router, most consumer gig routers more than a year old aren't

What's your zip code?

Newcomer

We're in the 28166 area. Also, I work in a networking environment, I can assure you all of my networking equipment is capable of handling gigabit (10/100/1000) data rates. Again, we're not having problems with our connection/speeds, I just wanted others to know (if they search before buying anyway!) that you can't use a customer modem (or at least the SB8200) for this service yet, despite the modem being fully capable of it.