During nighttime, my internet tends to either drops heavily in speed or get high ping.

Here's some info on my setup. 

Modem: Motorola SURFboard SB6141.

Router: ASUS RT-N66U.

I live in NYC, Jackson Heights area.

I am subscribed to TWC's 50/5 (or 60/6) speed. Lately for the past month or two, I would regularly be playing some video games on my computer when the ping in-game spike to about 300.

When I check my internet speed via speedtest or speedof.me website, my speed is throttled to about 1 megabit (which is 1/50 of the speed I pay for). Sometimes resetting my modem fix this issue. Other times I had to wait for it to go back to normally and it can last for a few hours or more.

It's INCREDIBLY annoying and interruptive. The one thing I noticed is that no matter how bad my download speed can get, my upload is always ~5 megabit so this means my upload speed doesn't seem to be affected much by this, only my download speed. After some googling, and chatting with other people who are PC experts, I'm told that this is an ISP issue. 

Today something new happened though. 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5575364341.png

For some reason my speed is throttled (going down to 1 mbps, then going up to 30 or so, then going down again) and my ping is incredibly high for some reason.

I usually get 8 - 20 ping but not 160 that you see in that screenshot. 

This is a frustrating problem and I really need solutions before I take any sort of action (reporting to FCC, switching to Verizon FIOS, etc). If anyone can help me, this would be very much appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
Expert

Re: During nighttime, my internet tends to either drops heavily in speed or get high ping.

Copy anp paste the modems signal level and error log pages and your zip code.

Don't reset the modem, need to see real history

Re: During nighttime, my internet tends to either drops heavily in speed or get high ping.

Expert

Unplug the modem for 5 minutes, plug it back in, see if you can get it locked onto adjacent channels... the ch 19 one is giving the modem fits...

I think you're getting ingress from aircraft radar, make sure there's no additional splitters or open ports and all connections are a tad more than finger tight.

Ingress is causing the padownstream partial service errors. and the channel skips pushing channels outside the modems acceprtance bandwidth which is only less than 16 channels wide

and if there's severe interference on the skipped channels, it slows down the rest. Of course it gets worst during prime time as others have the same issue

buSWqMm

I believe I have an F splitter but one is unused because we don't have cable TV anymore. Would the issue be resolved if I remove the F splitter?
Expert

get rid of the splitter, make sure all connections are tight

levels should change by 3 dB for the better

See if you can get channels that are adjacent rather than with the huge split.

Some ingress is causing the downstream partial service and that needs to be corrected.

Is something running cloud or sync? that device will chew up all your remaining bandwidth.

Can you elaborate on the "channels that ar adjacent rather than with the huge split"? You mention ch 19 gives my modem a huge fit. How do I make it change the channel it's using then? Thanks.

Expert

Unpower the modem for 5 minutes, plug it back in wait for it to go out of test, then look at the signal level page. You are looking for a maximum spread of 12 channels so if the lowest one is ch 3, the highest should be ch 15 or lower. example 3-10 or 1-8 or 9-16 would have all 8 channel adjacent to one another.

If after a few hours, you see a DS partial service error in the log, I'll bet the channel lineup has now skipped one or more of the channels.

Skipped channels usually indicate ingress from a licensed source.

How would I go about looking for that ingress causing the issue?
Expert

Make sure all connections are a tad more than finger tigtht and not corroded.

Coax can't go thru any surge protector  outlet strips or UPS's.

Call TWC

The "accceptance bandwidth" spec for the modem is being exceeded and no TWC techs have any clue of it's importance other than blame and change out the modems for a problem that TWC needs to fix but won't in most cases.