Highlighted
Browser

Download speed slowed and occasional drops

Over the past few weeks, I have noted increased problems with my internet connection. This comes after about 18 months of never having an issue. Some facts about my situation:

I am using a Linksys WRT1900ACS wireless router and just switched over to one of the newer modems provided by Spectrum (as a possible solution).  Upload speed is per spec, download speed is 1 - 5 Mbps.

I had a tech come out a fews weeks ago and checked my wiring. He played around with it a bit and left declaring it all good. He did provide some antecdotal information. He indicated Spectrum had recently changed the delivery signal frequency which was reaking havoc. He went on to say the slightest thing now such as a rain storm is causing internet issues. That seems to be consistent with what I'm seeing. Further, for the first time ever an agent on the phone admitted they could see signal power level issues from their end; hence the recommendations for a tech visit. So after that narrative some questions:

1. Anyone else experiencing similar issues? I'm in the Northe Raleigh NC area

2. I have seen posters list their signal strength data, how do I obtain said data for my modem?

3. Why do phone reps almost never know anything other than "have you tried rebooting?"

Thanks for reading.  

12 REPLIES 12
Browser

Re: Download speed slowed and occasional drops

Wow, forum pretty dead I see. Maybe not much of a chance of answers...?? Anyother forum options?

Proven Sharer

These are peer-to-peer forums staffed mostly by customer volunteers all over the country, not Spectrum technical support staff. Many of them work during normal business hours and visit here at their leisure. 

It's fairly difficult to provide a valid answer without some specific information such as what Spectrum services and internet speed you are subscribed to, the make and model of your modem (and router if customer owned), the Event and Connection Signal Level log report pages, number of splitters between the modem and the drop cable from the pole.

When you changed the modem, did you perform a factory reset of the router before you connected it to the Spectrum modem's LAN port #1?  That is important!

Next, did you set the router to automatically detect its network IP settings?  Is the modem set to run in bridged mode?  Both of these steps are also necessary.

Helper

You mention that rain seems to make the problem worse...is that correct? It could be that there is a loose connection or chewed up coax somewhere that is letting water into the line.

Newcomer

I’ve noticed the same issue over the past days. I am a former field tech and all of my wiring is in good condition, no loose connections, signal levels are all good across all channels. Something is up. Everything loads a lot slower the last few days.
Proven Sharer

If you happen to be located in the Madison WI area where they just had over 11 inches of rain, you might be onto something.  But that wouldn't affect subscribers or cable plant in the rest of the USA any more than wildfire smoke from California. 

Browser

thanks. Didn't realize Spectrum didn't have folks here to try and provide valid responses. A slight update to my situation.

Have had two techs visit home so far. Last one confirmed that the Spectrum signal to my home was only 10% of what it should be. He created a maintenance ticket which prompted another tech to attempt to find teh problem upstream. He comes by and says he fixed teh problem which was "loose optical connection up the street in a junction box".

Fast forward to three days later and I have teh same problem. Down load speed when hard wired from modem to laptop was 9.87 Mbps. Download I'm paying for is 200 Mbps. Technician on teh phon econfirms signal to my modem is of poor quality. He schedules another tech for a visit to my home.

Not hopful that he will fix anything.

Browser

Speed still slow after 4 technician visits. They have confirmed again a signal quality issue and dispatched a maintenance technician . Whatever he did did not help. I have a 5th tech scheduled for next week. Very disappointing.

Browser

Update. After 6 tech visits and 3 maintenance tickets, the problem has been resolved and stable for a couple of weeks. 

Best advice to anyone else reading this is just continue setting up appointments until they fix the problem.  Good luck.

PS - I never received any details on exactly what was repaired up stream.

Lead Moderator

Glad to hear it!

Please let us know if you have any further trouble!

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums