Browser

Downgrade from 300 MBPS

I have downgraded from 300 to 200 MBPS and here are my 2 observations...

i) After week of routine surfing/TV/Phone i have not observed any drop in quality.

ii) when i do speedtest i see similar results as in the past... random results but never more than 80MBPS.

My question. I will now downgrade to 100MBPS. Am i missing anything obvious aside from above two factors?

My goal is to compensate for TWC ripoff on TV channels. I pay for 200 chanels and every other chanel is spanish which i do not speak. So i have to buy even more so get an English chanel.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Helper

Re: Downgrade from 300 MBPS

I have 100 Mbps and have no issues at all running 4 computers, smart tv, apple tv, Roku stick, 3-8 cell phones/tablets, Nest, etc. at any given time. 

Having said that, only getting 80 (testing via TWCs speedtest on a direct wired connection) on a 200 or 300 connection might be an issue. Have you checked into why you only get 80...signal issues, 3rd party test site, wifi interference?

Browser

funny thing is that i just did speedtest and got 230MBPS and yes i am on 200 MBPS plan. So i do not know what to trust!!

I had an issue in the past where i was never above 80mbps. Probably that is resolved now.

Are you able to stream video on two devices (e.g. 2 Netlix or 2 Youtube HD shows) at same time? thank you

Helper

Yeah no issues here. I have a teenager upstairs that is constantly on her phone and using a Roku for Hulu or Netflix, better half constantly on youtube or facebook, while I'm on my laptop and watching Netflix or HBO GO all at the same time, currently all wireless too (plans to wire the house are in the works).  Granted, I'm not much of a gamer but when I do play something online I rarely if ever get any lag. 

Browser

thank you. I will call TWC and switch to SPectrum plan that will allow 100MBPS.

On the note of wiring the house, I am in newer home and the phone jacks are ethernet compatible (RJ45 i think?). But the builder installed installed wrong junction box in the closet. So i have to manually hack the little wires in phone jack to convert into internet. Thats what i have behind TV (for ethernet) and on my gaming box in the home office. These two jacks are not phone compatible but serve ethernet when i need.

Wifi is marginal... modem located next to junction box in closet upstairs surrounded by the beams.... builder was not thinking. This stuff is always work in progress...

Expert

100 megs s/b good for 5 simultaneous HD movies...

and a couple online games

faster iss not better when it comes to gaming, a stable transfer rate is more important

Proven Sharer

@IamSRK wrote:

thank you. I will call TWC and switch to SPectrum plan that will allow 100MBPS.

On the note of wiring the house, I am in newer home and the phone jacks are ethernet compatible (RJ45 i think?). But the builder installed installed wrong junction box in the closet. So i have to manually hack the little wires in phone jack to convert into internet. Thats what i have behind TV (for ethernet) and on my gaming box in the home office. These two jacks are not phone compatible but serve ethernet when i need.

Wifi is marginal... modem located next to junction box in closet upstairs surrounded by the beams.... builder was not thinking. This stuff is always work in progress...

"Hacking the wires" makes them no longer compatible with internet operation, unless all your jacks at both ends are the 8 wire RJ45 style and you are a trained in installer, in which case you would know better.  Performance is compromised even for the bottom tier 10 Mbps ethernet, and it will be a battle to keep anything working at 100 Mbps. 

Wood beams don't significantly affect WiFi signals, ity's the steel 2x4s, heating ductwork, and plumbing that kil your coverage.  But routers do run at the speed of the SLOWEST device on each WiFi band, so it can be just one antique laptop's WiFi adaptor that is limiting WiFi for everyone. NEVER run Speedtest over WiFi, the results are meaningless.