Highlighted
Valued Participant

Disconnecting my cable Internet

I have 3 cable lines coming into my house, one of which is for Internet. In the near future I may want to disable the Internet cable and return  the cable modem, although I still want to hold on to my cable television, at least for now. Aside from just disconnecting the cable, what else needs to be done to the cable? Does it need to be capped somehow? I seem to recall reading that a disconnected cable that's not connnected to a set top box or cable modem can cause connection issues for the remaining hook ups. Is that true? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Participant

Re: Disconnecting my cable Internet

I’ll admit I don’t know everything, but I have never heard of a situation where service is supplied to a residence on more than one cable for a single account. My guess is your service is coming on one cable and is split somewhere early on into three cables, but you just don’t see it. If you truly have three cables coming from the street you would most likely have to have a tech out to cap one correctly. 

If, as in most situations, you have a splitter in line you could try to find it and replace it with a two way or you can just put an in line connector with a 75 ohm termination on the unused cable. You would then return any Spectrum equipment, get a receipt, and  make sure you notify them you are cancelling your internet service only. They should then do the rest on their end by deauthorizing any internet modems on your account and thus cancelling your internet. 

Valued Participant

Sorry I wasn't clearer. There's a 3 way splitter outside my house.

So either add a two way splitter or get one of the lines capped with a terminator.

Thanks for your assistance.

Proven Sharer

If you know which line is for the internet modem, the easiest fix is to remove that connector from the outdoor 3-way splitter and replace with a 75 ohm termination.  You can find the 'term' in the electrical section of your local home improvement store for a few bucks. 

Next up in complexity would be to replace the old 3-way splitter with a 2-way model.  Same parts source, now you are up to a bit over $5. 

Participant

Not to drag this out, but if you have the option the best practice would be to replace the three way with a decent two way splitter.  A good two way splitter is less than $6.00 and you will get back signal strength as opposed to dumping 1/3 of your signal into a 75 ohm resistor. Finding out what goes where is not that complex. If you disconnect one cable and your TV goes out, you have found your TV cable. It is just a process of elimination. The other option will work too, but I always like to make sure I am getting the best signal to my devices. Good luck on whichever approach you take.