Browser

Re: Daily Phone and Internet Outages – T3 Timeouts

We've had 4 new modems in the past 9 months!

Expert

All looks new.... That green wire is bonded to the electric ground in the basement, correct?

It must be the bare #6 wire from your main electrical panel.

Browser

New construction home - built in 2013.  Yes, you are correct... green wire is bonded to the electric ground in the basement.

Browser

Hi MsRaye,

Can you please expain what you mean by "it must be the bare #6 wire from your main electrical panel"?   What/where is the bare #6 wire?

Expert

Well, it sure isn't below the meter box....

There should be a really heavy usually bare #6 wire coming out of your main panel, going outdoors to one or two ground rods if it's not coming out of the meter box itself..

If all the houses in your neighborhood are missing them, that's a serious issue.

Ground rods drilled into the concrete floor are generally frowned upon as it's usually drier inside the foundation.

You can no longer use cold water pipes as there's too many insulating bushings and plastic pipe.

and never gas lines

Browser

Had another outage at 9:06pm last night. Stats and log pics below.

Also posting pics below of basement wall electric/cable configuration.

Note this a new construction home (5 years old). Time Warner installed from the very beginning (January 2013). We didn’t have any major TWC/Spectrum issues for years until last June when multiple outages started on a daily basis. In the past 2 years, there has been no new construction in our allotment area nor have we done any type of construction work on our house which might have caused disruption to the cable service.  

On a side note… I have to say for the past 9 months, TWC/Spectrum tech team has been pretty impressive trying to solve the problem. I understand this is difficult to try to determine what is causing the outages. I’ve come to the Forum in hopes that someone can shed light on the situation.

pg1logfeb23.pngpg2logfeb23.png20180223_050729.jpg20180223_050759.jpg

Browser

As I said in my post above… “TWC/Spectrum tech team has been pretty impressive trying to solve the problem”....

I just received a call from the Tech Ops Supervisor… they have been monitoring our line and are going to put in a second modem (side-by-side to existing modem) to compare activity. Appointment is set for Monday at 4:00.  I will update this post once we have results on the second modem monitoring.

Rookie

Why isn't the modem next to the phone lines on the panel? near the coax connection? Also your signal level while technically ok isn't great and you have an 11 line(used usually for long service lines) and it's still low. Looks to me like they need to signal boost your neighborhood.

If it were me, I would put the modem near the coax on the panel and run a internet cable to wherever you want your router. This should give more signal and be a cleaner install in my opinion. 

Expert

is the modem on that 2 way splitter? Does the amp have a EMTA port on it?

Where is the green ground wire connected?

large22.JPG

Expert

looks like the amp has open, not terminated ports

looks like they put a 2 way infront of it to feed the modem rather than using it's internal emta splitter

Looks like you have 3 or 4 cable boxes as well