Highlighted
Rookie

DOCSIS 3.0 Modem

Does anyone know if or when Spectrum will be able to support DOCSIS 3.1? My modem is almost 10 years old and running very hot at times. I guess it's time to replace it just for safeties sake and to take advantage of the new higher speeds. Most of the 3.1 models that I've looked at are supposed to be backwards compatible. I just want something that won't be outdated as soon as it's purchased. 

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: DOCSIS 3.0 Modem

Nothings on the approved list yet... Don't buy anything.

They are only supplying one model for their 1 gig service.

Why do you want 3.1?

the proper 3.0 modems do 200-400 megs and I doubt you're paying for 50

Helper

In case you're dead set on buying a 3.1 modem, the Arris SB8200 (officially unsupported) seems to be successfully activated by most customers.

You could always switch to a Spectrum plan that includes the modem in the price of the service and still use your own router.

Expert

those are not being activated asODFM  3.1 but on docsis QAM 3.0 . I would not buy one at this time until they are officially supported if ever....

Plus, prices will fall.

And yes, don't fall for any combo modem routers as those will be an even biigger mistake.

You must use a seperate modem and router

Rookie

Thanks for the information, all I wanted to do was future proof a new modem. The price difference will allow me to maximize my system for all the devices that are either hardwired (3 computers & 1 printer)  3 Kindles, 3 smartphones, one smart TV and likely one more soon. and 3 Echos plus an occasional laptop. My old speeds were buffering a lot.

They just increased my down and upload speeds to 100mgs and 10 up.

Helper

There's no such thing as "future-proofing." You're better off using the included modem and buying a really good router to handle all your devices. 

• Current 3.1 modems are 1st generation. By the time you actually have 3.1 capability in your area we might be at gen 2 or 3 and your "future-proofed" modem is left behind. 
  • There is no guarantee that Spectrum will support customer owned modems for higher speed tiers (currently, gigabit tiers require using a provided modem). 
  • What if you move and the new location offers FIOS instead? Your future proof modem will sit in your closet because it's incompatible. 
Proven Sharer

@wheelzupwrote:

Thanks for the information, all I wanted to do was future proof a new modem. The price difference will allow me to maximize my system for all the devices that are either hardwired (3 computers & 1 printer)  3 Kindles, 3 smartphones, one smart TV and likely one more soon. and 3 Echos plus an occasional laptop. My old speeds were buffering a lot.

They just increased my down and upload speeds to 100mgs and 10 up.

Your "Price difference" thought is not particularly valid when Spectrum is giving you the modem free of charge;  it turns into "Divide by zero."  You CAN use the $$ savings to buy a 'real' router with good WiFi features and 3 or more external antennas that will extend coverage of the WiFi signals.

Don't expect to see Spectrum supporting  DOCSIS 3.1 in the next 24 months.  They would first have a huge cost burden to replace most of their electronics before 3.1 becomes a reality on their existing overhead cable properties. 

Expert

They have limited bandwidth 3.1 odfm running in a couple areas. It's a nightmare as none of the outside plant was capable of a flat response above 700 mHz, and they're up at 850-1000 mHz

Throw in non approved coam gear to the mix...

Already see the " I'm only getting 820 mb on my 1 gig service" complaints

And of course folks thinking they'll get high Upstream like only FIOS can offer.