Not applicable

DNS might be unavailable

I need some help. I have spectrum internet only. Zip is 12729 if relevant.

Relevant info:  I have 2 hardwired computers a wireless computer, a TV and ps4. When this occurs every device has DNS Issues. My modem and router are rented from spectrum and are where replaced with the last tech. 

For months I have been getting dns might be unavailable errors. Until last week the issue would typically resolve itself in less than 10 minutes with zero/minimal intervention (modem restart and i'm not sure it ever even mattered) 

Last week problem persisted for 2 days, tech came (fixed itself before tech came) He did not really find anything wrong but did give me new equipment and removed a tv filter (I do not have tv now). 

It has gone down twice since he left (another tech is coming) both times for 8+ hours. During the last downtime I tried to correct it on my own via some google suggestions I have done the following and seen no results:

Modem reset/restart coupled with computer restart

IPconfig/flush/etc...

Changing DNS Server to googles  and pinging it (it does not ping google dns when down)

I do have another tech coming however I have little reason to believe he will find anything different now (it is actually working again). 

Happy to provide any further needed details. I really need to come up with a workable solution to make my internet consistent again. I work from home so internet consistency is important and when i call spectrum tech support all they do is ask me to restart. This sends a message they have no interest in finding a problem and is discouraging. Please assist.

Edit: I see there is a format for info so here we go 

1. Your location. city, state, zip. Single Godeffroy ny 12729
  2. Services you get from TWC - internet only 
  3. Make and model of modem - I'm not sure e31u2v1?
  4. Make and model of router(s) Still not sure i dont see this on the equipment
  5. Firmware level in modem (or, post modem page) Still not sure
  6. Confirm modem is Online or report otherwise. Login to your twc account and click on troubleshoot. Confirm modem with correct serial/mac has a green dot.  Yes 2 green dots but my internet is working now
  7. What are your purchased speeds? What are results from Spectrum speed test. down, up, ping, jitter? 221 down/11.8 up 
  8. List symptoms using a wired (not wireless) connection with date and time and any repeating pattern - dns server may be unavailabe 
  9. Modem's signal, downstream and upstream, and event log pages. usually accessed at 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1 - neither pulls anything up
  10. Description of your cable wiring from street and throughout house, include splitters, devices, cable type (rg6, rg59) and age, etc. and specifically the where the modem attaches.  I am also not sure and skipping the rest for the same reason and/or its already listed

2 REPLIES
Participant

Re: DNS might be unavailable

Assuming you are running Windows 10,

1. right click on the Network icon on the task bar ,

2. select  open network and internet settings,

3. click change adapter options, 

4. move your cursor over your connection, and click on  View  status of connection,

5. click properties button, scroll until you see Internet Protocol  version 4, make sure it has a checkmark in the box, click on this entry, 

6. click on properties button,under General Tab, if Obtain DNS  server  address automatically is selected, select  Use the following DNS  server addresses:

8.8.8.8 for primary, 8.8.4.4 for secondary,

7. click Advanced button,

8. click DNS tab,

9. click add button and add: 1.1.1.1, 209.18.47.61 and 209.18.47.62.

10. Make sure that Append and Connection specific DNS suffixs is checked,

11. check Append parent suffixs of the primary  dns suffix, 

12. check register this  connection's addresses in DNS,

13. check Use this connection's  DNS suffix in DNS registration,

14. click ok,

15. click validate settings upon exit,

16. click ok.....

I have 3 Pc's and all are set as above and I have NO DNS server name resolution  problems. 

Depending on which modem/router gateway you have, you may be able to add and change DNS server entries in the router. If this is your case add all 5 DNS server entries into your router config also. 

https://dnschecker.org/

https://mxtoolbox.com/dnscheck.aspx

https://www.akadia.com/services/check_dns.html

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Not applicable

Re: DNS might be unavailable

Appreciate the response I did give this a shot but it did not get it working again. Anyone have any other ideas? i'm getting desperate