Participant

DNS issues - Cleveland area?

Hi there,

Has anyone noticed any DNS issues in the Cleveland area, starting yesterday?  I assume that's what they are, as navigating around the net has been slow for me, since yesterday.

I get a lot of "resolving host" messages from multiple devices in the house when visiting sites.   I get about a 3-4 second lag before a site will load.  Speed tests are fine, although it has been spotty getting them to start since having this issue.  

I've rest the modem and router to see if the problem clears up and still persists.   TWC chat has no clue if their DNS servers are having issues or not.  They just keep telling me to reboot my modem and PCs.  Router is set to acquire DNS addresses automatically.  Modem reporting didn't show any event issues for the last 6 days.

Haven't had any issues since yesterday.  I remember this happening before and thought it cleared up on it's on after a few days.  

Thanks.

Net still active up this morning.

26 REPLIES 26
Proven Sharer

Re: DNS issues - Cleveland area?

Yes, we're experiencing the same thing in the Southwest suburban areas.  It started yesterday afternoon with 10 to 20 sec delays.  I'm still seeing multiple seconds before common pages start to load.  TWC is prepping either four or eight more internet downstream channels out of the Strongsville office very soon, followed shortly thereafter by Avon serving the west shore suburbs.  Spectrum corp mgmt says the new capacity must be lit up and in service NLT March 3.,  That's the last day of the promo offer in the circular that was mailed out last month.  We can expect several overnight internet outages needed for fiber reconfiguration, node splits, and other IP network hardware changes.

Participant

I see.  They just recently dropped 4 additional DL channels in Cleveland, upping us to 16 streams.  We were at 12 for a while.

So, that being said...am I to guess that this will a self corrective issue.  Just wait and cross fingers?  The DNS lag is causing multiple issues outside of just lag of loading pages.

Our IP phone isn't working right, kids can't log into their Playstation accounts, streaming TV service spotty, etc.  The sooner they can correct the issue, the better.  I was going to check the functionality of my router to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue and perhaps try some alternate DNS servers, rather than having the router auto assign.

Thanks for the info.  I will just wait then and hope...

Participant

Would I be better off just utilizing an alternate DNS service like OpenDNS or one of the Google Public DNS servers as opposed to allowing my router to auto assign or using the old TWC DNS addresses?

Does TWC/Spectrum play well with OpenDNS or Google Public DNS servers?

Just spitballing ideas.

Expert

are you on 209.18.47.61/62?

A public DNS doesn't help because you still need to go thru 6 or more TWC hops to go out into the rel internet backbone.

What's a tracert to the dns look like?

Here's mine: it took 18 seconds to get the route...  and the server at the head end has been taking 200-500 ms on it's first ping response

D:\Documents and Settings\MizRaye>tracert 209.18.47.61

Tracing route to dns-cac-lb-01.rr.com [209.18.47.61]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    8 ms <1 ms <1 ms DD-WRT [192.168.6.6]
2   4 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
3   13 ms 8 ms 9 ms 142.254.157.117
4   210 ms 30 ms 23 ms 24.164.114.189
5   14 ms 10 ms 11 ms be20.clhgohcc01r.midwest.rr.com [24.33.103.58]
6   14 ms 12 ms 16 ms be14.clevohek02r.midwest.rr.com [65.29.1.98]
7   20 ms 12 ms 15 ms be25.clevohek01r.midwest.rr.com [65.29.1.32]
8 26 ms 22 ms 22 ms agg1.clmkohpe39r.midwest.rr.com [65.29.1.249]
9 25 ms 22 ms 21 ms dns-cac-lb-01.rr.com [209.18.47.61]

Trace complete.

Proven Sharer

@mthr1 wrote:

Would I be better off just utilizing an alternate DNS service like OpenDNS or one of the Google Public DNS servers as opposed to allowing my router to auto assign or using the old TWC DNS addresses?

Does TWC/Spectrum play well with OpenDNS or Google Public DNS servers?

Just spitballing ideas.

TWC's DNS information also routes your data to the edge of the TWC transport network, something that the OpenDNS and Google folks don't care about.  They do get the same periodic updates as other registered DNS boxes.  I would recommend that you NOT use other DNS servers located externally in the cloud. 

Participant

I will run a tracert to the DNS when I get home.  My router, if I recall, is set to auto fetch a DNS.  I will steer the router to the TWC 61/62 DNS servers and see what it looks like.  I will post a tracert later this afternoon and see what you think.

Thanks,

Expert

My path here is a rather ugly Macedonia to Severance ctr to Lakeside ave then to Columbus

I suspect the downtown Cleveland to columbus fiber that runs along railroad tracks is overloaded. There is an alternate route from Macedonia to Portage lakes to columbus that's a lot better that I sometimes get and was able to force it once in a while by switching routers. TWC has had horrible and unpredictable dynamic rout selection and due to their lack of correct lat/long geoloacation, they will never find the best route.

Participant

So, is there a recommended course of action if my DNS issues don't improve?  What do you suggest?  I'm 4 blocks away from the TWC center on Lakeside Ave., in Cleveland.

Again, I was living larger for the last several months until yesterday.  About a week ago, Spectrum upgraded my 50M profile to a 60M profile, but ran several days efficiently and without problems...until yesterday.

Modem diag results looked fine and no event issues, other than a manual reboot of the modem.

I didn't think the upgrade was related to the current issues.

Proven Sharer

The Spectrum upgrade a week ago should not have changed anything except your max DL speed. They are probably just making routing changes simultaneously to be ready for 16 DS channels per their April Fool's Day corp mgmt deadline.