Spectator

DNS Query Refused

Greetings,

I recently upgraded to "extreme internet", which required me to swap out my modem/router.  They gave me an Askey RAC2V1K router (FW 1.1.16).  Ever since then, I keep having intermittent problems with web pages not loading correctly or completely - if at all.  Sometimes a reload will bring them up.  Other times, it takes 3 or 4 tries.  I determined that my connectivity itself is fine.  But the problem is host name resolution.  I can replicate it with nslookup.  I can try  a lookup maybe 10 times, and out of that maybe 3 or 4 times I get "query refused".  If I wait a while, it might work fine all 10 times or fail 7 or 8 times out of ten instead.  It's very intermittnet and random.  Day or week or time of day doesn't seem to make any difference, as far as I can tell.  So I don't think it has anything to do with network load.  I called Spectrum Tech Support.  The tech was able to duplicate the problem directly from the router.  But best suggestion he could offer, was to do a factory reset.  I've not done that yet, because I don't feel like having to re-configure all my settings.  Plus, I can duplicate the problem by querying the same DNS servers the modem is using, directly from my workstation using nslookup.  So I'm incluned to think it has nothing to do with my modem.

I did ask Tech Support to verify that the MAC address they have on record matches my modem.  So that's not it.  I'm out of ideas at this point.  If anyone else out there has any, I'd appreciate hearing them,

THANKS - Mike Z (San Antonio, TX)

4 REPLIES 4
Proven Sharer

Re: DNS Query Refused

A MAC address mismatch between your device and Spectrum's database would not cause your DNS queries to fail. 

I presume you are testing the Spectrum DNS servers located at 209.18.47.61 & 209.18.47.62.  These boxes are physically located inside the Spectrum transport network, such that congestion or overload of an IXP link does not result in a DNS or NetTime failure.  Site link congestion or hardware overload at those Spectrum server pairs is still a very real possibility.  If you provide your ZIP Code, a moderator can route your complaint to the proper regional service center for network hardware investigation. 

You can use other DNS servers located at external sites all over the internet, but they will be subject to additional propagation delays.  Folks often pick 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare/APNIC), 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS Home), or 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 (Google) because they perceive a faster response time.

And last, you also could have kept your previous router and used only the Spectrum modem unit.  If your old router did not have BOTH Gigabit ethernet ports AND AC1900 WiFi or faster, it would have been the slow point on your home LAN.  It still would work, but slower than your connection today.

Spectator

Thanks Karl.  I am in zip code 78259.

Actually it's 209.18.47.61 & 209.18.47.63 in my case.  I had already done exactly as you suggested while troubleshooting.   Using the Google public DNS servers, and it does temporarily resolve the issue - at least until I guess the lease expires on my public IP, then it repopulates the 209.18.47.61 & 209.18.47.63 addresses in my router.  One other thing I noticed too, is that my round trip times to the secondary server (.63) are much better than with the primary (.61).  So I really wish they were in the oppisite order. - mz

Spectator

Any ADMINs/MODs on here that might be able to help me out here? Still no solution. Only a work-around.
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

@MikeZ wrote:

Thanks Karl.  I am in zip code 78259.

Actually it's 209.18.47.61 & 209.18.47.63 in my case.  I had already done exactly as you suggested while troubleshooting.   Using the Google public DNS servers, and it does temporarily resolve the issue - at least until I guess the lease expires on my public IP, then it repopulates the 209.18.47.61 & 209.18.47.63 addresses in my router.  One other thing I noticed too, is that my round trip times to the secondary server (.63) are much better than with the primary (.61).  So I really wish they were in the oppisite order. - mz

You determine the order of main and alternate when you type in the IP addresses.  If you wish you can enter 209.18.47.63 for your router's primary DNS and 209.18.47.61 for the alternate.  You can even split the DNS sites by inputting 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) as your primary and  8.8.8.8 (Google) as the alternate. 

By the way, you can provide your own router if you don't like what Spectrum gives you as part of their "extreme internet" package. A lot of subscribers do that so a modem reset won't blow away all their custom router settings.

Lease time of your Spectrum public IP should be 24 hours or longer, unless you connect a device with a different MAC (modem to router vs modem direct to computer).