Newcomer

Copyright infringement notice? Requesting help from TWC please.

When I opened a webbrowser for the first time after turning on my pc today, i recieved one of these notices and had to click on "Acknowledged" before it allowed me to have internet access. I then had to reboot my pc in order to get the internet connection back. I had no idea what was going on but after checking my email I discovered that my account is being blamed for this:

File Name: Inside Out (2015) [3D] [HSBS]
Content Type: Video
Content URL:
Shared: Aug 31 2016 4:38AM

I tried getting help from the TWC live chat but the rep said they would have to transfer me to Tech Support, but then during the transfer my internet d/c for a moment which caused the live chat to crash. Afterwards, I didn't bother going through live chat again and decided to post here instead in hopes that someone from TWC checks the forums. I would like to call customer support but I always end up getting a person from someplace outsourced like India, with a heavy accent that is hard to understand. It also seems that the live chat person I had today was also outsourced and I was confused why they were transfering me to tech support when this infrigement notice doesn't even seem like a tech issue.  Having to deal with outsourcing is frustrating and I would like to speak or chat with someone who isn't confused when I'm seeking help with my issue.

Anyways,  I would like to request that a TWC rep give me more information on this matter.

Firstly, as far as I know, we have never recieved any type of infringement notice from TWC in the past year that we have had our service. This is the first and only time I have ever received any type of notice, but this notice is stating that this is the fourth time this has happened!

Secondly, it's stating that someone was sharing this movie on Aug. 31st at 4:38am. There is no way possible that anyone within our small household was up at that hour let alone even having that movie to share.

Thirdly, I don't believe this would be an issue with someone stealing our wi-fi access since the modem and router are password protected.

I've very concerned about this issue and after searching this issue online today, have read that TWC gives 6 strikes before some type of action is taken towards an account. I just need to know what's going on with my account and why we are being accused of infringement. Could someone get in contact with me? Whatever information for my account is needed, please let me know.

Thank you.

Christina

5 REPLIES 5
Expert

Re: Copyright infringement notice? Requesting help from TWC please.

Have you changed modems or routers lately? Any idea if your public IP changed?

What sort of antivirus/ malware are you running?

Are there any bogus macs in your wired or wireless in the DHCP lease table?

In the warniing you got, was there a MAC address listed and is it one of your devices?

Don't post any numbers publicly, you may have been hacked.

Are you on any social media? Someone may have created a duplicate.

Newcomer

Hi MsRaye. I'll try to answer all your questions.

Have you changed modems or routers lately? Any idea if your public IP changed?
We haven't changed the modem or router since first getting the cable internet from TWC around last July when we first moved into this rental house.  The IP still looks the same as far as I can tell.
What sort of antivirus/ malware are you running?

I've used Microsoft Security Essentials for a few years but almost a month ago I had an issue with my pc, had it repaired at a PC repair shop, and after getting it back I noticed they installed a trial of Avira, which just expired this week. They also installed SUPER Anti-Spyware.

Are there any bogus macs in your wired or wireless in the DHCP lease table?

I'm sorry. I'm unsure where to look for this at? We have an Ubee cable modem/router but disabled the router feature long ago due to the it needing a manual reset daily for some odd reason. We use an ASUS wireless router for our wireless access that is connected to the Ubee modem. I accessed both devices controls to see if anything odd appeared on their client lists but do not notice anything out of the ordinary.

In the warniing you got, was there a MAC address listed and is it one of your devices?

There was an IP address listed but no MAC. The first two sets of numbers on the IP match up to our network(?) IPs. The third set of numbers in the IP from the email are different as well, although on all our devices at home, the third set looks the same on everything we have.

Are you on any social media? Someone may have created a duplicate.

I do use Facebook quite often but that's really the only social media that I tend to use. I access it from my pc and my cell phone. I'm not aware of anything that would be different from the usual though and my cell IP doesn't match up (nothing in the household does) with the IP listed in the email.

I'm sorry if I left anything out and if you feel there is anything else I need to provide or answer then please let me know. Thank you for replying to my thread.

Newcomer

So my fiance came home a short while ago and I was discussing this issue with him. It seems I have found an answer as to why this is supposed to be our fourth infringement notice. Apparently my fiance's older brother, who stays here at times due to his random job hours, had caused the previous infringements that had occurred this past year with torrenting! I'm fuming right now! I had no idea he was even doing this stuff when he was here.

I'm not even sure if he was around this week but I'm going to find out. I don't know how I can prevent him from doing this again since we share our internet with him and if I cut him off then hell will break loose. It's also frustrating since I can't lose internet access due to needing it for my college classes since a lot of work is done online.

I apologize for my initial complaint, assuming that I was being accused for something I haven't done. I just need to figure out how to stop this from happening again. So any suggestions are welcome. Is there any way possible to block access from downloading using torrenting?

Spectrum Employee

You know, this is why when businesses ask me if it's a good idea to allow for free wifi, or people tell me they don't care if they have a good wifi password, my answer almost always comes with a warning about how they could find themselves disconnected/banned from internet service, or even charged fines in civil court (Google it, it happens more than you'd think, and the courts tend hold the homeowner partially liable regardless) if they are unlucky enough to have somebody get caught doing something illegal on their internet access.  It's a rare risk, but it does happen more often than most people realize.

this topic is an epitome story of somebody who had access to your internet, did illegal stuff on it, somebody else (probably the publishers/owners of the film or films, like Disney, etc.) probably filed a complaint to TWC's abuse hotline, we found the source (your internet, unfortunately), and legally we have to act immediately with a quarantine. It's quite rare, but I've probably had that awkward discussion with customers a few times yearly when they're trying to figure out why internet is out and I have to explain that they've been quarantined.  This is in the terms of service when you first got internet activated.

my advice is work with the risk management department to get this cleaned up. It would help if you could get the MAC address of your fiance's older brother's computer. You can use that MAC to support that such illegal, Terms-of-Service-breaking was not actually your household, but more importantly you can use it to completely block (or restrict) their access, if your router supports it.

Most routers that support client filtering by MAC address are higher-end customer-purchased routers, not all the ones we rent/lease out (most of the ones we rent don't offer that level of adminstration fine-tuning) will give you that detail of control. So that way, if you want to allow the fiance's older brother access to some basic internet sites, then you can whitelist what they can access manually. Business do this sometimes -- such as to restrict access to only approved websites.  So Yes, with the right software, special firewall and filtering rules features on business-grade equipment, it can indeed be done.

frankly, based on what you wrote, that seems like a lot of work to go through for somebody who abused your trust.  I'd just recommend changing your WiFi password/key, and then change your router (or gateway modem's) administrator login.  I'm very sorry to hear that happened to you. Definitely a bad situation.  Please don't hate us for shutting off your internetSmiley Sad, and I hope it gets straightned out soon, really.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Participant

We have a UniFi AP-LR wireless access point which serves our house and separate office building, plus a good part of our 4+ acres with ample signal. It's basically an Enterprise quality AP at an affordable (under $100) price, and it does allow blocking of specific MAC addresses via it's web management UI.