Browser

Re: Constant intermittent DS Partial Service Fallback: MDD Lost errors

the loose connector was the one running to my neighbor's house.  Yes, TWC was out here Monday (29th) at 4 PM. 

Browser

I don't want to count my chickens yet, but I just checked the signal page again and the total uncorrectables has not incremented on any of the 8 channels. I don't recall this ever being the case at ~ 1 hour past a reboot. 

Expert

There's a lot at startup as the modem tries to pass data when it's also levelling but then it should settle down.

If yours is fixed, I'll bet the neighbors is as well.

Spectrum Employee

@mkolinsk wrote:

When I had opened it up, the extreme bend right where you have circled @agentx5 stuck right out because I thought it is a malpractice to bend coax like that. I went back and looked just now and there are not any braids showing and no apparent cuts in the plastic jacket. I did straighten it out a bit and I also check the connections on that section of coax. It wasn't even finger tight to the tap. I turned it several times by hand and then finished it with about 1/4 or more turn with a 7/16 wrench.

With all this being said, does that section of coax need to be replaced or do we just see if the tightening of that connection has any inmpact? Did that tight turn in the coax permanently damage it or might it be okay? 

Thanks again @MsRaye and @agentx5 for all the help. I really feel like we are finally getting somewhere now :-) 

Yes, it absolutely should be replaced, because once the dielectric is smashed/crushed like that the spacing the impedance won't be a constant 75 ohms.  Impedance mismatch causes signal reflection back to the amp, and that causes other issues.  For all coax wire (whether RG500, RG11, RG6, RG59, etc.) one should never do any sharp bens with it.  Graceful curves only. Ziptied cable organization for the win!

FYI, loose connectors or broken/damaged connectors (such as tension on the wire pulling the connector appart, is the #1 source of ingress, and really REALLY bad ingress at that.   Real example, there was this one guy I encountered who was knocking out service on his entire street because he thought there was nothing wrong with shaving his coax down like a pencil with a camping knife and then shoving that into the back of his TV.  He threatened sue us for hard-disconnecting his service (which can be done per the ToS), refusing to pay his bill, and for awhile was refusing let us to come inside (at no charge mind you) to find the cause, and that's what it was, coax shaved down like a pencil right into the back of the TV.  Moral of tbe story is your immediate neighbors absolutely have an effect on your service (and I mean that for all telecomm, including cellphones and DSL), and that a bad (or even just a sucked-out  fitting) can impact services.

Do you think you can request a larger pedestal to be installed?

I don't know about your area, but where I live, we don't install pedestals that small, haven't for many years,  The extra volume would help the wiring situation.  It looks kind of cramped for a 4-port tap...

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Browser

Sorry, been really busy and haven't been able to get back to this. Still getting DS Partial Service Fallback errors so I need to follow-up on this, but just don't have the time right now. I hope to get back to it soon.