Browser

Re: Consistently INCONSISTENT Internet Connectivity / Latency

@MsRaye wrote:

Do you have a 2 way splitter so you can connect up both modems?

A photo of the inside of the pedestal would be appreciated.

I'm trying to verify why there was a level issue that has just cleared up with the Arris installed...

What exact model is it? (obviously an 8x4 but not a 6141 as they show total bytes.

The wall top modem cable,is this a seperate jumper? Is the center wire shiny copper and extends 1/8" beyond the nuts?

is it a new twc cable or something with molded ends.? Look at the center wire inside the nut and make sure there's not a strand of steel braid or foil touching or wrapped around the center wire.  look at the wall plate end as well.

BTW, your levels now look like what I see on new technology amplifiers and right at the pedestal, and is way too high if measured after 100' of rG6.

The DS channels have a lot higher loss as they're on higher frequencies than the Upstream ones.  US doesn't change much with length .

The 16 dB change on both indicates a serious issue out on the street.

What main road are you near? If it's off 91, that's a mess up by Heinens and nothing surprises me with cable damage

I can try to find a 2-way splitter, but I am not positive if I actually have one or not. 

I would love to attach some pictures here, however, I cannot seem to figure out the (insert/edit image) pop up window. Source - The location of the file does not work for this, and it will not allow me to enter the proper inputs for the fields listed. Is there a better way to share pictures than this?

Motorola is Model SBG6580. 

The center wire does look to be copper and extends out 1/8". Wall plate and other cables look to be the same as well. 

I am near 91, and fairly close to Liberty Rd as well. Heinens is about 1 mile away, and I'm sure the new circle they put up at 91 and Glenwood is causing all types of issues (not to mention the increase in accidents I have seen). So much for circles supposedly having less accidents than if it were an intersection with signals, but I digress. 
Cable_Inside_House_Inside_Cable

Expert

the 6580 should be fine, but it does not do IPv6 that eliminates that possibility.

Take off the wall plate and make sure the in wall connector is a tad more than finger tight.

also examine it to see if there's any loose braid wire or foil shorting to the center wire.

paste the images up on Imgur and post the image url here,

I don't know if that development is fed from 91 or from Liberty, there is a huge rats nest hanging down at Cannon and 82 close th the township line, it has fiber and does run north up Liberty. Nothing feeds from Solon, it all comes up from Macedonia

Browser

@MsRaye wrote:

the 6580 should be fine, but it does not do IPv6 that eliminates that possibility.

Take off the wall plate and make sure the in wall connector is a tad more than finger tight.

also examine it to see if there's any loose braid wire or foil shorting to the center wire.

paste the images up on Imgur and post the image url here,

I don't know if that development is fed from 91 or from Liberty, there is a huge rats nest hanging down at Cannon and 82 close th the township line, it has fiber and does run north up Liberty. Nothing feeds from Solon, it all comes up from Macedonia

Everything looks good with the cables. I do not see any loose braids or foil shorting around the center wire. 

Images URL below: 

http://imgur.com/a/iovrm

Expert

A picture is worth 1000 words.

Looking at the back of the modem, it appears the F connector is crossthreaded or not fully snugged down, use a 7/16 or small crescent wrench, torque spec is 10-12 inch pounds, a tad more than finger tight. At that point, the coax shouldn't swivel if you move the modem. If it does, that's a problem. The 6580 I have here is an older version and doesn't appear to have as long an F female on the back

Next, the new line is lower loss RG11 coax and is more rugged than rg6, But I think the old orange stuff was only the single braid RG11, the black is a flooded quad shield. 

It's pretty low loss

Your photo of the tap off block shows enough corrosion on it to be deemed questionable, 2 ports are terminated, the 3rd goes to a neighbor theu that ugly splice and jumper cable.

Per Tburg council, there is a mini cell like the one at the HS located halfway down Ethans drive.

It is early 2015 legislation and proposed by a "shell company" with the ultimate user being Verizon.  They went to council meeting and wanted "an answer tonight" as to whether they can start installation, Handed the city a couple incorrect/ misleading answers but I believe got approved within a couple months. Best were comments on using the traffic light pole " we'd have to shut off the traffic lights power to work on the antenna" when the correct answer is " You'd have to have us shut off the cell site when working on the traffic light because of FCC rf exposure regulations" ,  The traffic signal supports are too low anyway, lol. 

If there are any egress/ingress points within 1000' of one of these sites, the 4G rf will get into the TWC coax and saturate/ overheat the twc line amps causing all sorts of level issues.

We need to get to the bottom of why your levels changed 14+ dB both down and upstream

I'll take a ride down ethan to see if there's any egress points and have contacts that will put the heat on twc to fix them.

Sharer

Probably not related but I can't say I like that flat Ethernet cable..not seeing how it could be balanced per spec.

EIA/TIA standard states that Ethernet cables work up to 328 feet.  Any time a rep contradicts facts like this, I use that to push escalation, "Since you're operating from false information--EIA/TIA standard max length is 328 feet and I've run longer at work without issue--and this issue is beyond what your role can handle, please escalate this to the properly equipped tier..."

"Trust but verify."

Google makes it easy to do real-time fact-check, provided your Internet connection is working. Smiley Very Happy

Additionally, that drip loop is improperly installed. ("Cable_Outside_House_New_Top_View"): it should not be using the ground block as a hanger, which defeats its purpose of letting water drip AWAY from connections.  It should be below and properly secured with its own clamps.  This is short-cut half-assed work that reflects an institution's lack of standards.

Browser

@RoloX2 wrote:

Probably not related but I can't say I like that flat Ethernet cable..not seeing how it could be balanced per spec.

EIA/TIA standard states that Ethernet cables work up to 328 feet.  Any time a rep contradicts facts like this, I use that to push escalation, "Since you're operating from false information--EIA/TIA standard max length is 328 feet and I've run longer at work without issue--and this issue is beyond what your role can handle, please escalate this to the properly equipped tier..."

"Trust but verify."

Google makes it easy to do real-time fact-check, provided your Internet connection is working. Smiley Very Happy

Additionally, that drip loop is improperly installed. ("Cable_Outside_House_New_Top_View"): it should not be using the ground block as a hanger, which defeats its purpose of letting water drip AWAY from connections.  It should be below and properly secured with its own clamps.  This is short-cut half-assed work that reflects an institution's lack of standards.

I can't say that I'm a fan of a flat cable either, but if I am running a 50' cable to another room, the wife didnt' like the normal cables and thought this would look better since WiFi is unusable at this point. 

One of the last techs told me that 50' for a cable was way too long and proceeded to try and tell me why with some made up (edited).. I simply pulled up some sites to show him the 100meter rule on cables and he kept rambling on anyway. 

Any excuse to blame the customer and not take responsibility for your own actions seems to be the motto with TWC. 

Not surprised if something is installed improperly, that seems to be the going trend with how they have done everything so far. I'll bring it up to the next tech that comes out, but I'll unlikely see any changes. I've had 6 techs out in as many weeks and chatting with Julia R (TWC Rep) yesterday evening, they only have records of 2 within the past 30 days and stated that the other few techs were "line drop bury" issues when that's completely not the case. Can't even track their own WOs properly... 

Anyone else anxious for fiber optics to get here? =()

Expert

Twinsburgs "fiber optics" are the 4G LTE sites, LOL.  There is actually a biz class fiber service available in the industrial areas, It's interconnecting all the cell sites from various carriers and a few select businesses and I believe it's Windstream as it connects all their SLICKS together which distribute voice and DSL to homes and businesses.

Expert

Run the Motorola/arris for a while. TWC has those in service and supports them better. 

That will also help rule out the firmware upgrade and you'll also see the corrected/uncorrecteds

that may be occurring on specific channels.

Local TV channels are on 45, 47, 49, 50 and  47 , 49 & 50 are quite strong here. (669 , 681 & 687 mHz)

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3ddfaff9559e70e7

As for the flat undercarpet cat5, it is made up with twisted pairs and I hope it follows 568B configuration. It works fine at 100 base, wouldn't trust it at 1000

Expert

It appears that the original proposal with Twinsburgs P&Z fell thru, Verizon put the mini cell site on rt91 at Ethans drive. SW corner

heres the site: http://i.imgur.com/AFixYnv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2WHbFbK.jpg

There is egress at these pedestals about 1000' down Ethan drive, the left, tall lt green one has distribution amps and I believe the fiber to at least 2 seperate node converters as well as a battery backed up UPS power supply in the right tall dark green one to run everything north of Glenwood.  It's close enough to the microcell to have ingress issues from it,   the little one is Windstream, the big flat one is an Ohio edison transformer http://i.imgur.com/lx5SlJT.jpg

Here's where the original Microcell was going to go, these are Windstreams fiber to copper pair SLICKS and where the areas DSL comes from.   http://i.imgur.com/9rP9AjJ.jpg

See if there are 2 boxes with electric meters on them, There maybe another stealth antenna on the brown one in the back It might look like a tree, lol.  Windstream normally uses the light colored cases, the dark brown one looks like a new addition, It's more on the aesthetics Tburg p&z wanted on the 2015 request for a variance.

It appears that the roads on the south side of glenwood are fed from Liberty road , I don't think that egress/ingress's your issue as they're a different node.

You'd need to compare hop 2 of you and the folks down there's tracert hop 2 to see if they're on a different node.

Are you getting corrected/ uncorrected counts on the Arris?

If there is only a single fiber to coaxial converter, the node is overloaded, there's way too many houses on it. I don't see a lot of egress or severe egress other than at Liberty  and then the one by 91

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

I'll agree that flat ribbon 'ethernet' cable is not going to pass a CAT-5E end-to-end certification test for crosstalk. And believe me, I've tried to use it a few times. Flat ribbon cable = telephone or discrete leads & logic levels only.