Highlighted
Expert

Re: Connection keeps dropping even after modem swap.

Get it out of the line, It's acting as a 6 dB attenuator and pushing your Upstream up to the max which is bad.  It also upsets the impedance and return loss/ isolation.

Upstream must be below +50 dBmv to be stable.

I'm really tired of hearing about what worked 2,3,10 years ago...

Mothing is the same, all the old crappy docsis 1-2 modems worked at +55 because they were single channel...

Docsis 3 is way more critical, especially with 24 and more data channels and all the rest of the video on qam, and nodes being on Hybrid fiber with video and data being on seperate pairs.

Browser

Listen ma’am the rudeness is not what I’m here for I left the setup as it was every time they have come here so yeah it worked the time they came then it didn’t they come again and it worked again then stopped. I’m just tired of having to consistently call or have these people at my home. I’m on here to try to figure it out without having them come here. And what you’re saying is no different basically trouble shoot everything when in doubt change the equipment cause as you say nothing is the same as 2,3,10 years ago. Smh 

Newcomer

Reboot city

I have days with every 40 min reboots.  1 out of 5 will display the blue "CableCard" error, the other 4 out of 5 are just screen freezes (usually in the last four minutes of a Law and Order episode.. grr..).

We are known to be on the end of the line, about 17000' or so from our CO.  Would adding a little amplifier to the incoming line prior to running to the box possibly help?  We have the Technicolor modem, 200MB Internet and phone..

Tech support says "they are aware of the problem and there is no solution for it."  Indeed, I have swapped the box and it did not fix the problem, tech came to the home and looked lost.  I've been a net design engineer (fiber, frame-relay and copper) for the State of OH and know my way around the wires.

Any ideas welcome.

Newcomer

She's not being rude, you're getting the straight poop from someone that knows her way around the circuits.   Trust me, after you get several dozen, "my picture is a little out of focus, can you fix it?" messages, and you might fray a bit..

Another old tech guy

Expert

Sorry it's installed wrong... sorry to hurt your feelings if you installed it.

Go read the specs for channel bonding on Docsis 3...

You need 3 dB of headroom  on US and the max level is either +52 dBmv or +54 dBmv. with +57 dBmv being the max it will put out in the single channel "fallback" mode which is the last resort to try to keep the modem online at degraded rates.

A resistive pad attenuator should be used in lieu of assorted directional couplers and splitters.  TWC, chose not to supply them.

Just like the empty ports on amplifiers and splitters, especially the EMTA bypass ports which are indeed a 2 way splitter on the amps input. I've had to add plenty 75 ohm terms as well as demand them on new installs.  There is only rated isolation when all ports are properly terminated.

The only use for directional coupler tap offs is when someone has daisychained thru the house and putting in home runs back to a common splitter is either impossible or impracticle. You'd see something like a 10 dB tapoff at the first outlet, then an 8 at the second, a 5 on the 3rd and then a 2 way splitter at the end...

But when docsis 3 bonded ch modems came out, they must be on a 2 way splitter when cable enters, then the other port split for cable boxes and probably not more than once as all new devices have docsis 3 modems in them for cloud based DVR's and a streaming option for true HD and MOD/PPV as well as a replacement for the overloaded SDV mode.

Browser

Sweet heart you didn’t hurt my feelings.  This is pointless at this point the power level has always been at 51 and I was fine until last week so I don’t know how to get it lower then that so I guess I’ll just call them out again cause you can use all that jargon all I know is I have taken everything off after your last reply and I’m getting the same thing so I’m done at this point. 

Expert

If theres nothin between the pole and the 2 way splitter with  3.5 dB loss , yes, they need to come out and fix whatevers causing the high upstream level, especially since it looks like there are other issues. Did they run out of ports there and hang a 2 way feeding a neighbor? Have seen that a lot with apartments and you're at the mercy of what the neighbor does/ and their bad connections pushing up the US levels beyond the Max levelling point. It will work at +51 but there's no headroom if a higher US level is needed other than dropping back to a single US channel.... That could be a couple "neighbors" or a mile away!

How many taps down from an amplifier are you?

Is this a old pre TWC cable system?

Proven Sharer

Re: Reboot city

@musikman1 wrote:

I have days with every 40 min reboots.  1 out of 5 will display the blue "CableCard" error, the other 4 out of 5 are just screen freezes (usually in the last four minutes of a Law and Order episode.. grr..).

We are known to be on the end of the line, about 17000' or so from our CO.  Would adding a little amplifier to the incoming line prior to running to the box possibly help?  We have the Technicolor modem, 200MB Internet and phone..

Tech support says "they are aware of the problem and there is no solution for it."  Indeed, I have swapped the box and it did not fix the problem, tech came to the home and looked lost.  I've been a net design engineer (fiber, frame-relay and copper) for the State of OH and know my way around the wires.

Any ideas welcome.

Ask your Tech Support contact to put their "Can't be fixed" answer in writing so you can take it to the Ohio Public Utilities Commission.  At that point their management should reconsider that position, rather than admit they cannot honor their legal franchise contract to provide you with cable internet service. 

Lead Moderator

@musikman1  good morning.

Provided I am looking at the correct account, located by the IP address you visited us with, we have not had a technician out to your home since 2016 and only once for this issue. 

I encourage you to contact us directly at Forums_Help with verification of your account

address. 

We can look into this issue further. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Browser

Every thing is underground here. It’s been running fine the past few days no drops then had one today from looking at the log channel 2 ID timed out. But it came right back up.
Thanks for your input